Which Flashgun for Canon

Name
Dann
Edit My Images
Yes
I am buying a new camera soon and will be using it a fair bit indoors taking photos of my nephew at parties etc and want a flashgun

Which would be the best one to get?
So far I have looked at the Canon Speedlite 430EXii and the Jessops 360AFD.

Is it worth spending the extra money on the Canon or are there any other makes I should consider?

Thanks

the canons are far better but not cheap
I've got a good canon one, but needed a couple more and frankly wasn't spending that much money
so went for an alternative and I've had good results so far from the YN flashes
for ~£100 quid the YN565EX is good
and fully slave compatible and ETTL if you fancy that.
also a catchlight card, okay build quality, 2 yr warranty with some sellers
and takes a battery pack. so fairly good all round, with some features you'd find on a 580ex. doesn't act as a master though, but the YN ST-E2 is good value if you fancy that later.

Nissen have a good rep too and are available in your highstreet

Last edited:
I just bought a used Nissin Di866 as a backup for my Canon 580EX II. It's pretty decent for the money (less than half the price of a 580EX II & about 1/3 the price of a 600EX). In some ways is nicer than the Canon (controls & screen) but in other ways is not as good (not as well built & has plastic screw washer to secure on hot shoe rather than lovely positive lever). I may buy 2 or 3 more to use in a quad array in an octabox.

I've had a jessops flash cheap and at the time affordable but not a patch on the canon one I replaced it with

I think I'll go for the Canon then.
I'll be getting it on finance through Jessops so the higher price doesn't worry me too much

the canon is good and might hold its value better
only thing I missed on the 430 that wasn't on the 580 was the battery pack option (not for most people)
and the catch light card, which can be replaced with a bit of photopaper :)

big vote for the 430 - it's reliable and always supported by canon, as Matt said it will hold it's value and should you want to move to radio poppers or pocket wizards in future you know it will be compatible with them

Back