Which flashgun?

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Need some help choosing a new flash, the flashes I had in mind are sb600, sb700 and di866 mk2, the sb600 seems more powerful than 700 and di866 more powerful than both but recycle times are slower?

Which would you choose and why?

Many thanks

Sorry to add another one to the mix.. have you though about getting a second hand SB800.

It may be worth your time to look at what Nissin flash has out there.

Hi guys,

Need some help choosing a new flash, the flashes I had in mind are sb600, sb700 and di866 mk2, the sb600 seems more powerful than 700 and di866 more powerful than both but recycle times are slower?

Which would you choose and why?

Many thanks

I had the same problem (see here). Then I went to the shop and tried ann Nikon flashes, Nissin di866mk2, Metz and Sigma.

I couldn't find any excuse from buying Nissin. It's the most powerful flash out there, with simple but functional menu, full manual mode and it works with CLS.

Thanks, Read somewhere about possible voltage spike with non genuine flashes, should this be a concern?

Last edited:
Thanks, Read somewhere about possible voltage spike with non genuine flashes, should this be a concern?

Was the post sponsored by Nikon or Canon ?;)
Personally - I've been using 3rd party flashes for ages, never had any problems.

twist said:

I thoroughly researched Nissin prior to purchase and read nothing about them. There are 2 very good "how to" type videos on YouTube which look at the Canon version of the di866 mk2.

Andy

Was the post sponsored by Nikon or Canon ?;)
Personally - I've been using 3rd party flashes for ages, never had any problems.

Couldve been, it was someones post on TP, just had me thinking.

What about TTL and metering? Will it be the same, accurate?

Does anyone know if the Di866 mk2 works with most cheap triggers/receivers?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
im also researching flashguns, and also considering Di866mk2.

from what i've read, you can trigger it through the onboard flash on your camera.

Im swayed toward the SB700, watched a video and it seems very intuitive with the wheel. Also the recycle times are much faster than the di866 mk2, colour of flash seems more neutral than warm when looking at the di866 comparison.

Last edited:
Im a canon user, but my nissin 866 gets used more than the 580ex2 and the 430ex i own

It's more powerful than then 580 and the 430, the batteries seem to last better than the 580 and if the flash if the flash is off camera I find the controls quicker and easier to use ( especially with cold fingers)

Its also a damn sight cheaper than the 580 :D

No worries. :D

The nissin guns offer top level features for mid level cost.

Have you looked at Metz,i an using a 44 AF-1 with my D90 and have had no problems yet,just an idea.

All the best,Ian

Last edited:
I own a 50 AF-1 which I used with my Canon, I now have Nikon. I really liked the 50 AF-1 but thought Id try something new.

Brian, in the techradar review they state for the Nissin

"The full power output lags quite a way behind the manufacturer's stated maximum, and accuracy is disappointing at 1/2 and 1/4 settings as well."

and

"Like the Metz, the Nissin often underexposed images when we used it in TTL mode. In this case, it's given the same -1.0EV flash exposure."

and

"Along with dark exposures, colour balance is a little on the cool side. This makes the Nissin less than ideal for skin tones and portrait photographs."

Well I have 2 canon's to compare the nissin too and I prefer that .... So I'm happy with my choice.

Re white balance ..... I shoot raw and alway adjust the white balance regardless of light source.

With the nissin on its auto mode a sensor on flash decides when to quench the flash, for me if I have to shoot with any degree of automation the auto mode always works better than the ettl mode. Ettl and me never seem to work reliably so I much prefer to set flash power manually.

Just to let you know, Nissin works with my PT-04 triggers. If it comes to exposure, it works 100% OK for me.
Can't fault this flash, maybe apart from that hissing sound of charged capacitors, but I got used to it :)

Can I ask how these flash guns will perform in complete darkness? Will they light up subjects within 2 meters?

Back