Which Folding Camera?

I was having to make the same decision back in 1953 - - - but pocket money restricted me to the zeiss nettar (without a rangefinder so I clipped one in the flash slot). I still have it over 50years on and it still works. Was scanning some negs from it taken in 1957 for an old school friend . . .will our digital files still be available in 2053?

I was having to make the same decision back in 1953 - - - but pocket money restricted me to the zeiss nettar (without a rangefinder so I clipped one in the flash slot). I still have it over 50years on and it still works. Was scanning some negs from it taken in 1957 for an old school friend . . .will our digital files still be available in 2053?

LO Hey stranger! :wave: These cameras are so simply and solidly engineered a lot of them will still be going in another 50 years I'm sure.

Can you remember how much a 11a would have been in 1953 Phil?

I think my Nettar was about £15 -20 range . . . a fortune to a 13 yr old and the retinas were in the £40+ market - well out of my reach.

I was getting my 40D cleaned at Norfolk Cameras the other day and realised I had not put a film through my Rolei TLR (F2.8 planar) so I will let you know how I get on with a roll of 120 b&w. Have to check the old weston still works and think a bit more for a change!

I think my Nettar was about £15 -20 range . . . a fortune to a 13 yr old and the retinas were in the £40+ market - well out of my reach.

That's a good indication actually.I left school in 1958 and if you were on a thousand a year you had really arrived. The average person probably earned half that, so in post war Britaim just recovereing from rationing and all the rest of it, £40 plus in 1953 must have been an obscene sum for most people.

I was getting my 40D cleaned at Norfolk Cameras the other day and realised I had not put a film through my Rolei TLR (F2.8 planar) so I will let you know how I get on with a roll of 120 b&w. Have to check the old weston still works and think a bit more for a change!

You should! Not that I do as much as I should anyway.

I wonder what the bokeh is like from that 5 bladed lens in your pic CT. I'd like a smaller camera to cart around with me. I've got my F-I-Ls Nettar which I run a roll of provia through. Unbelievably sharp negs when viewed with a loupe considering the age of the things, problem is it leaks light like a sieve. I'd repair it but I'm not keen on the best guess focussing system either. I'd like a coupled range-finder and a folder what be good but there's just way too may to choose from and too many pitfalls with the whole age and condition thing.

Are you going to use it? It mean mean findings something other than birds to photograph unless you've taken up taxidermy too;)

you...wicked you....

Now I have to have a Retina. What is the opinion on Retina III c

I think they just added selenium metering. I woiuldn't bother personally most of those meters have died now, even in the very nice ones.

I wonder what the bokeh is like from that 5 bladed lens in your pic CT. I'd like a smaller camera to cart around with me. I've got my F-I-Ls Nettar which I run a roll of provia through. Unbelievably sharp negs when viewed with a loupe considering the age of the things, problem is it leaks light like a sieve. I'd repair it but I'm not keen on the best guess focussing system either. I'd like a coupled range-finder and a folder what be good but there's just way too may to choose from and too many pitfalls with the whole age and condition thing.

Are you going to use it? It mean mean findings something other than birds to photograph unless you've taken up taxidermy too;)

LOL. Oh I'm gonna use it. As for what the bokeh is like, just do a Google search on Kodak Retina and it should throw up loads of images taken with them. The images really hold their own with anything - you'd be surprised. ;)

Well the Retina was just delivered. Everything working as it should and smooth as silk from the lever wind to the lens opening/closing. It's a reassuringly heavy little gem which just reeks of quality German engineering. :cool:

(y)

Excellent news Cedric - kids and new toys springs to mind... :LOL:

I'm sure will see pics of it and from it soon enough... :naughty:

:p

(y)

Excellent news Cedric - kids and new toys springs to mind... :LOL:

I'm sure will see pics of it and from it soon enough... :naughty:

:p

Most definitely - on both counts!
:D

Just dunno whether to wang a roill of colour or mono through it.

Yeah CT

Go buy another one then have mono in one and colour in the other :D

Actually on a side note where did you get that Retina from was it Flea Bay?

It looks really nice

Yeah CT

Go buy another one then have mono in one and colour in the other :D

You don't know how funny that is!:D
Actually on a side note where did you get that Retina from was it Flea Bay?

It looks really nice

Yep fleabay. It's lovely apart from a few minor marks on the alloy trim.

Have a look at leslikescameras.com. He seems to have some nice gear for sale including a couple of Retina 11as

That ebay shop is painful CT, can you somehow wipe my mind before i try and start working out how to buy the Nikon RF gear :bang:

My nettar surprises me every time I get a roll back from Peak!

Back