Which grads/ND filters please?

Edit My Images
Yes
My wife has a 1D MK IV, plus a number of L lenses.

When taking landscapes she wants to use a grad/ND to take the sky down/foreground up.

Any suggestions on what to buy please?

PS: she is a get-it-right-in-the-camera type photographer rather than a muck-around-in-photoshop-afterwards type :nono:

Thanks!

My wife has a 1D MK IV, plus a number of L lenses.

When taking landscapes she wants to use a grad/ND to take the sky down/foreground up.

Any suggestions on what to buy please?

PS: she is a get-it-right-in-the-camera type photographer rather than a muck-around-in-photoshop-afterwards type :nono:

Thanks!

If like me you are putting filters in front of L lenses you need to get some decent kit or you wasted the money on the lenses because poor quality filters will drag down the IQ.

I would like to say go for Cokin Z-Pro or even Better Lee filters. However getting hold of either is almost impossible because they have such poor manufacturing / stock control processes. Beware of cheap chinese imitations on bay as you can be duped into buying crap filters for quality filter prices.

M.

Right, thanks!

Any ideas on where I could buy any decent filters from though?

HiTech / Formatt are far better than Cokin; I'd stick with them unless you can get Lee.

HiTech / Formatt are far better than Cokin; I'd stick with them unless you can get Lee.

I would really like to see some evidence for the continued rubbishing of Cokins I am pretty new to DSLR but chose to go with Cokin Zpro range and have now used stacked NDs and NDs + ND grads with no evidence of the strong colour cast suposedly associated with them. For 10 stops I use Heliopan, again with no problems. I would love to see a full professional analysis and comparisson of all the ND filters and manufacturers but I doubt any of the mags have the B**lls to do it.

Ordered some Hitechs last week (arriving middle of this week) after being recommended on here, wanted Lee but don't want the 20 week wait!

I would really like to see some evidence for the continued rubbishing of Cokins I am pretty new to DSLR but chose to go with Cokin Zpro range and have now used stacked NDs and NDs + ND grads with no evidence of the strong colour cast suposedly associated with them.

For evidence, I am not sure I can oblige; I've happily sold off all my Cokin because of this issue. If you're happy with your Cokin set, then that's what really matters :shrug:

Personally, I will never recommend them; but please don't go putting words in my mouth. I didn't say they were rubbish.

For 10 stops I use Heliopan, again with no problems.

Heliopan are a very good brand. I've used them, and continue to use them for Circular Polarisers and I'm very happy with them.

But the OP was asking about Grad ND?

I would love to see a full professional analysis and comparisson of all the ND filters and manufacturers but I doubt any of the mags have the B**lls to do it.

Magazines can write whatever they want, and anyone can choose to read them for whatever they want, too. The OP came here to ask members here of their experiences :bang:

I have a full set of Hitech soft and hard ND grads. You won't be disappointed

What is a full set? I'm new to playing with ND's/Grads so have ordered 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9 ND & Grad, am I missing something that maybe useful?

I'm one of those that liek to play with things to learn how best to use them hence ordering before realising what I fully need lol!

I have a 20% voucher for Hitechs given away free or for nothing, nada.

No strings

Send me a pm with your email for a discount code \o/

For evidence, I am not sure I can oblige; I've happily sold off all my Cokin because of this issue. If you're happy with your Cokin set, then that's what really matters :shrug:

Personally, I will never recommend them; but please don't go putting words in my mouth. I didn't say they were rubbish.

Heliopan are a very good brand. I've used them, and continue to use them for Circular Polarisers and I'm very happy with them.

But the OP was asking about Grad ND?

Magazines can write whatever they want, and anyone can choose to read them for whatever they want, too. The OP came here to ask members here of their experiences :bang:

My comments were not aimed at you specifically, it's just a case of the apparent hierarchy of filters is in danger of becomming a case of the Emperors
new clothes. As you say for me they are fine with no problems but I repeat I have yet to see anything to substantiate the plethora of comments re Cokin and colour cast.:eek: Surely it should be out their or is it just a case of give a dog a bad name.:shrug:

Sorry if I inadvertently trod on your toes please accept my apologies:cool:

My comments were not aimed at you specifically, it's just a case of the apparent hierarchy of filters is in danger of becomming a case of the Emperors
new clothes. As you say for me they are fine with no problems but I repeat I have yet to see anything to substantiate the plethora of comments re Cokin and colour cast.:eek: Surely it should be out their or is it just a case of give a dog a bad name.:shrug:

Sorry if I inadvertently trod on your toes please accept my apologies:cool:

To the contrary, it is I who ought to apologise; for some odd reason I presumed your comments were aimed at me.

Thanks for the replies.

OK, stupid question time: what kit do we actually need? I assume a filter holder (do I only need one, as all the lenses are the same size ~ 77mm) but how many Grads?

I know you can spend, spend, spend but realistically how many/which filters should we get?

Finally, Singh Ray filters were mentioned to us by someone: any comments on these filter please?

Thanks.

Ahh this sounded like the situation I was in when I first started what kit do I need etc.

Well I have a set of Hitech filters, a Lee 77mm Wide Angle Lens Adapter and the Lee Filter Holder.

Interms of what filters you need, I checked out this site, the landscape photographer David Noton who is selling Lee Filters as a prebundled kit (http://davidnoton.com/ctlfilterkit.htm) .

So what I did was I ordered the hitech equivalents of what as listed and I havent looked back:

So essentially I have the following Hitech filters (150x100mm size)

-0.9ND grad (hard)
-0.6ND grad (hard)
-0.6ND grad (soft)
-0.9ND filter

Example of Hitech filters in action:

4835674082_e6509d9222_z.jpg

4792826952_c2d496a990_z.jpg

4768811940_ba04c119c0_z.jpg

4948249222_2df2466ae8_z.jpg

I havent felt I had the need to look at a 0.3 grad and what I have seems to suffice for now, so I hope the images give you an idea of what the hitechs can do.

Cheers,

Andy

I would really like to see some evidence for the continued rubbishing of Cokins I am pretty new to DSLR but chose to go with Cokin Zpro range and have now used stacked NDs and NDs + ND grads with no evidence of the strong colour cast suposedly associated with them. For 10 stops I use Heliopan, again with no problems. I would love to see a full professional analysis and comparisson of all the ND filters and manufacturers but I doubt any of the mags have the B**lls to do it.

Well, somewhere I posted about the huge problems I had with them, my discussions with the inporters and the supplier I bought them from (which is why I'll never buy from Warehouse Express again).

Stack two cokin ND filters together and it just exasperates the magenta tinge they have - i.e. here's a simple sky
IMG_3057.jpg

With a single filter you can just about remove the tinge in post processing, but why should I have to?

Another example with just the cokin ND8 filter
113823525.jpg

and how the sunrise actually was - shot with a polariser to give me some sort of longer exposure
113823528.jpg

And don't take my word for it - a simple google of Cokin, ND, Magenta etc will give you thousands of hits of the same problem.

Thanks for the replies.

OK, stupid question time: what kit do we actually need? I assume a filter holder (do I only need one, as all the lenses are the same size ~ 77mm) but how many Grads?

I know you can spend, spend, spend but realistically how many/which filters should we get?

Finally, Singh Ray filters were mentioned to us by someone: any comments on these filter please?

Thanks.

You will need: -

- Filter holder; these come in different settings. You can have them for multiple filters (ideal for most lenses), or for just one filter (ideal for wide angle lenses).

- Holder Mounting Ring; this is a ring that fits into the holder (above) and makes it screw on to the front of your lens. These come in different sizes, and you will need the size that fits the front filter thread on your lens. So, if you have various lenses for which you'd like to use your filter kit on, then you will need to get Mounting Rings for each size lens.

- Filters; get whichever and whatever effect you'd like.

For NDG there are two distinct types; hard edge and soft edge. The difference being how the dark area fades into the light area. Unless you're shooting a very flat horizon (seascape) I would avoid the hard edge; but that's a personal preference.

NDG, like most colour graduated filters, come in various strength. 0.3 is one stop of light being reduced at the most. 0.6 is two stops, and 0.9 is 3 stops.

HiTech / Formatt, and most good quality brands also do 1.2 (4 stops), 1.5 ( 5 stops) and 3.0 (10 stops). The 3.0 (10 stops) is a huge reduction in shutter speed and will need extra care to use, these are also more expensive as they're not so easy to manufacture.

If you decide to go with the 3.0 (10 stops) then I don't recommend you use HiTech / Formatt (it, sadly, gives a magenta colour cast). As a matter of fact, I wouldn't recommend any of these slip-in filters for this kind of long exposure. There is always the risk of light leak from around the filter's bracket (but this is for another thread, if you're interested).

Singh-Ray, these are up there with Lee. Very expensive, very hard to find, and very good for the ego.

What is a full set? I'm new to playing with ND's/Grads so have ordered 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9 ND & Grad, am I missing something that maybe useful?

I'm one of those that liek to play with things to learn how best to use them hence ordering before realising what I fully need lol!

Hi Ryan. The full set is 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 when applied to ND Grads, both soft and hard

This is what I love about the TP forums :)

I was discussing ND grads with a friend this morning and bemoaning the price of decent filters. I shall now be purchasing some Hitech filters and holders and will pass the info on to my friend as well.

Thanks to all :D

Hi-Tech's are a great introduction to using Filters at very little expense, it allows you to learn technique, difference between hard and soft filter use etc etc.
Then if comfortable and happy using them, a potential upgrade to Lee or alternate is open to you.
Its exactly the route I went, now I love my Lee's.

<snip>

I shall now be purchasing some Hitech filters and holders and will pass the info on to my friend as well.

Thanks to all :D

Actually, the HiTech / Formatt holders are a bit more expensive than Cokin; and as it so happens you can get the Cokin holders and screw mounts that hold the HiTech / Formatt filters just as well.

That's what I did, and saved me a bundle.

<snip>

Then if comfortable and happy using them, a potential upgrade to Lee or alternate is open to you.
Its exactly the route I went, now I love my Lee's.

If you don't mind me asking, and I don't want to digress; but what do you find in Lee that you were missing from HiTech / Formatt?

As Byker28i has shown some Cokin filter shot here are two I took with Cokin Zpro a ND4 stacked with a Cokin Grad ND8, my filters were purchased in August this year don't know when they were manufactureds so it begs the question is the difference down to variable manufacture, was there a problem and if so has it been resolved, poor quality control or is it down to the model ie p or z pro etc I don't know and indeed it may be a risk to far to invest a couple of hundred pounds on a full set without a guarentee that they are cast free. However I hope it's clear that Cokins can perform at both ends of the spectrum.

DSC_0051_0606800x531.jpg
[/IMG]

Also did one with Heliopan 10 stop and circular polariser 166 sec exposure

DSC_0040_0595800x531.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

I *think* we have settled on a 0.3 Grad and a 0.3 reverse Grad (we take a lot of sunrises and sunsets) from Singh Ray. I assume you can add these two together to get a 0.6? (albeit a 0.6 with 0.3 at the every top?)

Plus a slide in filter holder.

:thinking:

Anyone, please?

from what Ive read on here, 0.3's seem to be hardly used for sunset/rise.

0.9 apparently used most.

I'm about to buy 2 grads and I think Im going to go for .9 soft and .9 hard grad and see how I get on with each type. Im getting hitech ones from format, the 2 comes to about £90 delivered as opposed to one from Lee for £66 if in stock which they're not. Anywhere.

You can probably test for yourself by taking bracketed exposures of a sunset you like, check the exposure for the foreground you'd like and then again for the sky you'd like, the difference in stops will indicate what grad you may use most.
I *think* its
.3 = 1 stop
.6 = 2 stop
.9 = 3 stop

so, say your foreground shutter speed was 1/15th and the sky was 1/60th (aperture constant), then a .6 would have worked well.
I think ive got that right, am a bit of a n00b it has to be said! :geek:

You can add your filters together in a slot in holder but each extra bit of glass degrades the image somwehat so they say. Using just one would be better than 2 together. The Lee foundation kit holder will hold 3 at once I think.

Last edited:
I've just been on the Hitech website and notice that the cost of the 85mm filters is significantly less than the 100mm.
I use a FX body and 24mm at the widest. The lens I'll use these on has a 72mm thread.
Do I need the 100mm filters?
Is there an advantage to 100mm filters over the 85mm?

cheers
Kev

I've just been on the Hitech website and notice that the cost of the 85mm filters is significantly less than the 100mm.
I use a FX body and 24mm at the widest. The lens I'll use these on has a 72mm thread.
Do I need the 100mm filters?
Is there an advantage to 100mm filters over the 85mm?

cheers
Kev

I used 85s with cropped body and a 10-22 lens.
Oh and used the cokin p holder
I had to zoom out to 14 mm to avoid vignetting.
But apart from that. It was fine.
But I've just bought lee and the size difference is huge.
So I guess the 100mm hitechs will be better. But the 85s are good

Back