Which grey paper?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I need to buy a new wide roll of mid grey paper and just can't decide which shade to get. Versatility would be handy - it'd be nice to have it dark enough to easily get it to black, light enough to get it fairly bright - like my avatar - and medium enough to take gels well.

Suggestions, please?

(Oh, and it has to come from Wex 'cos I've got some vouchers burning a hole in my pocket).

Within reason, get as dark a shade as you can.
It's easy to add more light, more difficult to exclude light.
Same thing with gels - dark will allow you to get both richly saturated colours, via underexposure, and pastel shades, via overexposure - light shades will make richly saturated colours difficult or impossible.

I need to buy a new wide roll of mid grey paper and just can't decide which shade to get. Versatility would be handy - it'd be nice to have it dark enough to easily get it to black, light enough to get it fairly bright - like my avatar - and medium enough to take gels well.

Suggestions, please?

(Oh, and it has to come from Wex 'cos I've got some vouchers burning a hole in my pocket).
I would stick to mid grey as you can do more then any darker ones CHeck out Gavin Hoey here [
View: https://youtu.be/PIoWwx-elCE

I liked Tetenal (Savage?) Thunder Grey from Wex, looks darker than your avatar though.

Wex also stock Calumet and Colorama too so you're not short on options.

While we're on the subject of paper, does the brand make any difference?

Within reason, get as dark a shade as you can.
It's easy to add more light, more difficult to exclude light.
Same thing with gels - dark will allow you to get both richly saturated colours, via underexposure, and pastel shades, via overexposure - light shades will make richly saturated colours difficult or impossible.

Thanks, that was my thought too. It's just that I've never actually tried to light a dark grey as a lighter shade.

I would sort some samples for you but I’m without a computer for a good while.

I’d think colorama charcoal myself which is my favourite.

Last edited:
I would sort some samples for you but I’m without a computer for a good while.

I’d think colorama charcoal myself which is my favourite.
Assuming the 2.75m rolls from wex are what you are looking at I would get "granite" for what you want.
Thanks all - I went for the shadow grey in the event.
I know I'm bound to end up with a variety of shades in due course.

I have the self same paper (Amongst others) and it will easily go to black fall,off etc- and I can get mine up to pure white with a well placed Lencarta smartflash :)

Back