Which image format do you use in camera?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I know that this may seem a strange question, but I wanted to know what size/format you choose on the camera menu for taking portrait shots. At the moment I have some A4 frames which I was given by a friend, but A4 format is totally different to 10 x 8 or 7 x 5 etc. and portraits do seem to look right in the right frame.
I am sorry that I cannot describe this better, but I just want to know what most photographers use for portrait shots.

Cheers.

I don't take many portrait format original shots but do occasionally crop to a portrait proportion. I don't like the 3 x 2 format in portrait - It looks too narrow and tall and so I usually crop to 5 x 4 (same as 10 x 8) which are plate camera formats having worked as an Art Director with various professional photographers using plate cameras.

When shooting landscape format I can usually imagine how I want to crop an image in post-production later. Wildlife subjects are invariably cropped at some stage - 'Tis the nature of the beast.

I don't take many portrait format original shots but do occasionally crop to a portrait proportion. I don't like the 3 x 2 format in portrait - It looks too narrow and tall and so I usually crop to 5 x 4 (same as 10 x 8) which are plate camera formats having worked as an Art Director with various professional photographers using plate cameras.

When shooting landscape format I can usually imagine how I want to crop an image in post-production later. Wildlife subjects are invariably cropped at some stage - 'Tis the nature of the beast.

Thanks Robin. 10 x 8 always "looks right" to me. I remember a snippet of advice which I was given decades ago when I had my first SLR - "Always fill the viewfinder". However, if you do this with a portrait, then very often it will result in too tight a crop.

Back