Which Kenko extender for the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 L IS USM

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I would like to try a 1.4 extender on my 70-300 lens and wanted to know what others are using, do i need the DGX or will the DG do the same job?
I need AF to function and have read many reviews where others have had good results so looking for some advice before i buy.
Thanks
Tony

Nobody tried an extender on their 70-300 L IS?

It's the dgx that you need. The one with the blue dot on the side too as it's the later of the dgx's.

The lens will retain af but it's not as fast as your used to as the lens is trying to focus at f8.

I use the combo at times but the 70-300L is so sharp I find a heavy crop to be as good quite often.

Thanks Ben, do you shoot FF?, i do and always find a tight crop too much for Bird photography hence wanting to try the extender. have to agree the 70-300 is a great lens.

No I'm using a crop body but I'm sure the pixel advantage you have shouldn't set you too far apart from me. 300mm is a little short for a lot of wildlife really but i cant bring myself to sell it.

I suppose it gives us a good excuse to be looking at 500mm f4's doesn't it haha.

Are you using a 5d mk3 by any chance? The firmware update allowed af at f8 for the camera anyway so maybe it'll focus a little faster for you anyway.

Don't let me put you off its a great addition for an already great lens.

That lens will accept the Kenko pro 300 dgx converter.
I tried it on mine before I sold the converter - AF was sluggish but usable and the combo didn't loose much sharpness.

Cannot comment about the 70-300 but the Kenko pro 300DGX worked this morning on my Canon 70-200 so I cannot see any reason why it would not work on the 70-300. As above AF was sluggish on my lens and I also lost one stop (4 became 5.6) on maximum aperture.

Cannot comment about the 70-300 but the Kenko pro 300DGX worked this morning on my Canon 70-200 so I cannot see any reason why it would not work on the 70-300.

Except that your 20-200 is f4 at the long end - so it becomes f5.6 with the TC. The 70-300 starts at f5.6 and becomes f8 with the TC. That's going to make AF a lot slower - if it works at all.

Except that your 20-200 is f4 at the long end - so it becomes f5.6 with the TC. The 70-300 starts at f5.6 and becomes f8 with the TC. That's going to make AF a lot slower - if it works at all.
It definitely works and in good light is more than acceptable but on overcast days it's not the quickest.

It definitely works and in good light is more than acceptable but on overcast days it's not the quickest.

If you know someone with this TC then I would recommend testing it out before making the plunge. The reason it may work is that the TC doesn't communicate with the camera body. The reason I would be hesitant is that the 70-300mm doesn't work with any of the canon TCs due to the design of the lens.

Depending on body, of course.

Er, nope. If it works at all (and I'll admit, it's much likelier to work on some bodies than others) then it will make AF slower.
It is guaranteed to work on some bodies.
Yes, slower, but it WILL work.

I would like to try a 1.4 extender on my 70-300 lens and wanted to know what others are using, do i need the DGX or will the DG do the same job?
I need AF to function and have read many reviews where others have had good results so looking for some advice before i buy.
Thanks
Tony

The older DG version is discontinued isn't it? The only difference between DG and DGX is improved communication and EXIF reporting, though some people get full EXIF with the DG anyway, including me.

The Kenko 1.4x will fit the 70-300L, whereas the Canon extenders won't because the zoom's rear element retracts too far, though I believe it works at longer focal lengths, which is presumably where you need it. Focusing should work okay on your 5D3, with the latest firmware allowing AF at f/8.

I am looking at this combo or maybe a 2x convertor so will be very interested to see comments form anyone using this combination. The 70-300L seems ideal for my needs and carrying a fairly small extender will be a benefit to me instead of a lens for the occasional times that I want the extra reach.

I am looking at this combo or maybe a 2x convertor so will be very interested to see comments form anyone using this combination. The 70-300L seems ideal for my needs and carrying a fairly small extender will be a benefit to me instead of a lens for the occasional times that I want the extra reach.

Not 2x. You will lose AF and f/11 (the new maximum aperture) would be extremely limiting.

Goes anyone have any examples of the Canon 70-300 L with the kenko 1.4 dgx teleconverter? I'm thinking of getting one mainly for zoo photography on the occasions that I want to get a bit closer

Back