Which kit to buy? Elinchrom or Bowens?

Wow, there is a bit of a knack. I have very small hands so it was hard work - had to get help in the end... You'll be relieved to hear putting the softbox together was a doddle! Looking forrward to playing with them..

Thanks for all your help :)

Don't forget to post some resulting pictures and your views of the heads in use - both the good and the bad points (if any).

Paul

How many pops did you get using 3 600 RX's plugged to one Explorer XT SE? And how was the recycling time?

I guess only 1 unit of multi-voltage light like that of Bxri will work properly with XT SE, I'm not sure though, but it was mentioned on their compatibility chart that 1 unit (flash/monoblocks listed on the chart) is guaranteed to work unless otherwise specified. I might as well verify it with them.

I am not sure of the recycling time but it was not an issue at the time.
I can time 3 at full pop if you want, like me know...

Yep only 1 multi-voltage light works with them at a time the new version which is coming out later this year will fix that.

Hi

I have one photo uploaded with the new flash on flickr...(I can't work out how to upload photos directly on here like some people have managed to do so...)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55576238@N07/5677352884/in/photostream

I found the flashes super easy to use, was up and running within 30 mins. I really didn't need to buy such powerful flashes though, I've got them on the absolute minimum in my dining room which is about 3m squared. I think I would have been better saving a bit getting 200's or 250's and upping the ISO when necessary. However, having said that, I love the colour mine have given, and I do fancy playing around with some larger locations at some point, so hopefully I'll grow into them :)

My favourite pictures are actually with the lighting at the side. I don't have any modifiers so this picture is taken with the kit and nothing else.

Black background is a large piece of stretch polyester velour bought from C&H Fabrics (£23) clamped to a background support stand.

The softboxes are nice, very easy to assemble. However I can see modifiers are not that easy to get hold of, everywhere seems to be out of stock, and eventually would like to get a snoot and grid, possibly a 21cm reflector, gels etc and possibly another softbox. Are there any non Elichrom manufacturers which are reliable and make EL fit modifiers?

Any must-have background colours you can recommend :)

Ta

Heather

Elinchrom Modifiers are very very good, stock levels in the UK have been a little ropey from what I've noticed since maybe 2weeks before Focus. Suppliers include theflashcentre, robertwhite, warehouseexpress. I'm accumulating a bit of a list of Eli modifiers I want. The 100cm Deep Octa is fantastic and extremely versatile!

A reasonable supplier of third party Eli fitment is bessel. www.bessel.co.uk I have their big softbox, 120x80cm I think, and my gf's brother has a couple of their strip lights. Everyone I've spoken to about them is happy with the quality, for the price of course. I take mine down and put it up on practically a daily basis and its still in one piece, showing no signs of use and cheap as you like.

Danny

I know, I know its one of those questions we all dread about what kit should I buy etc..

Background

I don't have a studio nor do I intend having one therefore my knowledge is extremely limited in this field.

However, the company I work for now wants to improve the quality of its product photography. In the past it has been a case of someone with a point and shoot taking an image with a piece of white A4 paper as a background.

This has perturbed me for quite a while and I decided to show them what could be done with my DSLR (Nikon D300s). I took a few basic, quick photos spent a few mins in post processing and presented an image to the CEO who has now decided he wants to hire my camera and purchase a decent lighting kit for the company.

This is where I need help!

Products I will be photographing are:

Graphics Cards
Capture Cards
Industrial PCs + Expansion Chassis
Back planes
Cables etc

I have been given a budget of somewhere in the region of £1k

I don't want cheap, unreliable kit and neither do I want top of the range kit that is way over the top for what I need.

I have done a bit of scouting around and I have been drawn into the "Bowens Gemini 500C/500C flash head kit". I will obviously need to get a stand and back drop as well.

What I want to know is am I looking at the right level of kit i.e. am I still over the top or do I need a bigger budget.

The images will be used primarily for website use and pdf datasheets etc.

My apologies for the sweeping question but I don't know where else to seek advice.

Something I forgot to mention, time is not on my side. They want me to start shooting next week!

Thanks in advance

Quaker

Hi Quaker,

If you're only ever going to photograph objects you could consider a continuous lighting kit rather than a flash kit? They can be cheaper.

If you go for flash, I tried out both Bowens and Elinchrom - I have to say the Elinchrom is soooo easy to use, I absolutely love mine. And the D-Lites and the BXRi's have the receivers built in, so you don't have to buy them separately (you would for Bowens). But you don't have to spend a fortune, if you bought the D-Lite kit you get the softboxes, stands and transmitter included, and it wouldn't break the bank. You'd want some reflectors/black cards as well to play with the light but you could buy artcard/artboard from an art shop fairly cheaply, or pick up a five in one reflector kit on amazon for less than £15.

I think your £1k would get you plenty to start with :) That's about what I spent on my kit (sob!)

Best

Heather

Back