Which L bracket

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone! I am looking to purchase a L bracket for my canon 6D and Canon 7D Markii

I use a Manfrotto MT190CXPRO4 Carbon Fibre Tripod with 496RC2 Ballhead but not sure if this set up is compatable with L plates that use standard Arca Swiss clamps and heads.
Was looking at 3 legged thing QR11-LC Universal but thought I would ask first.
Cathy

You would need an adapter (arca Swiss clamp with rc2 plate screwed to it) to mount an arca Swiss L bracket on a RC2 head. You can get RC2 compatible L brackets but they aren’t easy to find.

The general opinion is camera specific L brackets are better than universal ones, they have mooulded points that stop the L bracket twisting on the camera and the accessory door should not be impeded. I’ve seen 3 legged thing market their L bracket as the best L bracket on the market but I can’t see how they, just sounds like marketing hype to me.

Are you looking at a universal L bracket because you want one to use on both cameras. Are you going to use the L bracket on both cameras? Generally L brackets are seen as an accessory for landscape photographers and generally if you have the option of a crop and full frame bodies you will likely choose the full frame body. Would you be better just having one on the 6D?

If you are looking at camera specific L brackets sunwayfoto are good and relatively cheap too.

Last edited:
Generally L brackets are seen as an accessory for landscape photographers and generally if you have the option of a crop and full frame bodies you will likely choose the full frame body. Would you be better just having one on the 6D?

If you are looking at camera specific L brackets sunwayfoto are good and relatively cheap too.

Yes you are right so I would only be using one for the Canon 6D I tend to use the other for nature birds etc.

You can probably take off the Manfrotto clamp and replace it with a standard Arca-style clamp that will work with any Arca-compatible L-plate. To mount the Arca clamp you'll need an 'RC2 boss adapter'. These are sold on their own, or complete with clamps, e.g.:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-Ada...-RC2-to-Arca-Quick-Release-Clamp/322287969253
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-Ada...-Bogen-Manfrotto-Head-RC2-System/322018574663

Like the look of the one in the second link thank you :) So thinking an L plate for the Canon 6D plus this adapter might be the answer.

I have a sunwayfoto L bracket for a 6D of you're interested.
Only getting rid of it as I upgraded my body.

£25 posted if you're interested. I won't be back home until Saturday evening, but can setup a classifieds thread.

I have a sunwayfoto L bracket for a 6D of you're interested.
Only getting rid of it as I upgraded my body.

£25 posted if you're interested. I won't be back home until Saturday evening, but can setup a classifieds thread.

Elliot yes that would be fine I will send you my contact details and we can get that sorted once you get home. I take it this one is for the Arca fitting?
Thank you :)

Elliot yes that would be fine I will send you my contact details and we can get that sorted once you get home. I take it this one is for the Arca fitting?
Thank you :)

Yes it is Arca mount. Just confirm though, that you have the 6D and not the new 6Dmkii as I don't think it will fit the mk2

Back