Which Laptop to Buy ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a laptop at the moment and I know some don't like laptops for photo editing but I have used one for years with no problem. My wife (nurse) has a chance of a laptop with her work and the best choices I can see on there are below but I cannot decide between them.

They are both powerful enough but I just wondered about the display and colour accuracy. From what I can find online it seems the MSI is pretty good but the HP has an IPS display which I read are good

OMEN by HP 17-inch Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7-8750H 8GB 1TB/128GB SSD GTX 1060 6GB

Windows 10 Home 64

MODEL:
OMEN by HP - 17-an101na, Product code: 3ZV26EA

PROCESSOR:
Intel® Core™ i7-8750H (2.2 GHz base frequency, up to 4.1 GHz with Intel®

-
Turbo Boost Technology, 9 MB cache, 6 cores)

CHIPSET:
Intel® HM370

MEMORY:
8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

-
2 user-accessible memory slots; Transfer rates up to 2666 MT/s.

STORAGE:
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA, 128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

DISPLAY:
17.3" diagonal FHD 144 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)

GRAPHICS:
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

AUDIO:
Bang & Olufsen, dual speakers, HP Audio Boost, DTS Headphone:X™ support

POWER:
230 W AC power adapter

BATTERY TYPE:
8-cell, 86 Wh Li-ion

-
Supports battery fast charge: approximately 50% in 45 minutes

NETWORK:
Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN

WIRELESS:
Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 5 Combo

-
(MU-MIMO supported; Miracast compatible

PORTS:
1 Thunderbolt™ 3 (Data Transfer up to 40 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge);

-
3 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge); 1 Mini DisplayPort™; 1 HDMI; 1 RJ-45;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSI GP73 Leopard 8RE 17.3-inch Gaming Laptop

CPU:
Coffeelake i7-8750H

Windows 10 Home

STORAGE:
128GB SSD, 1TB 7200 rpm HDD

COMMUNICATION:
Killer Gb LAN, 802.11 ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth v5

AC ADAPTER:
180W adapter

DIMENSION (WXDXH):
419 x 287 x 32 mm

DISPLAY:
17.3" FHD (1920*1080), 120Hz wideview 94%NTSC color Anti-Glare 3ms

CHIPSET:
Intel® HM370

GRAPHICS:
GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5

MEMORY:
16GB - DDR IV 8GB*2

WEBCAM:
HD type (30fps@720p)

KEYBOARD:
Backlight Keyboard (Full-Color)

WEIGHT (W/ BATTERY):
2.7 kg

AUDIO:
2x 3W Speaker

BATTERY:
6-Cell , 51 Whr

AUDIO JACK:
1x Mic-in, 1x Headphone-out (SPDIF)

I/O PORTS:
1x Type-C USB3.1 Gen2

-
2x Type-A USB3.1 Gen1

-
1x Type-A USB3.1 Gen2

-
1x RJ45

-
1x SD (XC/HC)

-
1x (4K @ 60Hz) HDMI

-
1x Mini-DisplayPort

The IPS display of the HP should be much better for editing than the NT display of the MSI.

It all depends which angle you're going to view the screen from I suspect.

Yes I read the IPS has a lot better viewing angles.

I at first thought the MSI was the one to go for as it has 16 GB Ram and apparently excellent colour range of 99% sRGB and I think 85 adobe. Then I read it has a TN screen and they are a no-no for photo editing.

So I thought OK then its the HP but it only has 8 GB Ram and the screen although excellent (according to reviews) is only 90% sRGB and around 50% adobe for colours

:runaway:

Yeah my wife gets them at a good price - why are the Dell computers so much better than the MSI and HP I mentioned ?

Last edited:
Yeah my wife gets them at a good price - do why are the Dell computers so much better than the MSI and HP I mentioned ?

Good screens, well built & spec'd. I've no experience with MSI and mixed experience with HP (some good, some not) but Dells seem to last well and have a good spec for the cost. I don't know a firm reason not to buy either of these, but if I didn't have a large discount available then they wouldn't be where I would start to look (TBH I'd buy a smaller machine & use an external monitor for home editing if I HAD to have a laptop - which is what I do with my XPS).

Good screens, well built & spec'd. I've no experience with MSI and mixed experience with HP (some good, some not) but Dells seem to last well and have a good spec for the cost. I don't know a firm reason not to buy either of these, but if I didn't have a large discount available then they wouldn't be where I would start to look (TBH I'd buy a smaller machine & use an external monitor for home editing if I HAD to have a laptop - which is what I do with my XPS).
Thanks for that. I have a HP at the moment and it's been good to be honest but it's getting old and slow now. I had decided on the msi as it has great reviews and good color range but it's TN screen and I read TN is no good for editing. My present laptop is an ips screen

Thanks for that. I have a HP at the moment and it's been good to be honest but it's getting old and slow now. I had decided on the msi as it has great reviews and good color range but it's TN screen and I read TN is no good for editing. My present laptop is an ips screen

I had a TN screen a while back, and couldn't understand why my images looked so different on different computers. My present Dell is nearly 4 1/2 and still adequate: I replaced both drives with larger versions, but had to swap out the 1TB SSD for a 2TB HDD because I needed the space and couldn't afford the upgrade to SSD. Otherwise it's stock, same 16GB RAM etc.

Yeah I am pleased I never went for the MSI - it looks like it will be the HP Omen which has an IPS screen and is an excellent laptop (apparently) but its colour range is not as good as the MSI

Back