Which Lens (again...)

Edit My Images
Yes
A oft asked question on these forums it seems, so apologies for bringing it up again!

I currently have 3 lenses for my 30D, the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, a Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro and a Tamron 70-300mm f4. I've had the Tamron for years, when I bought it I was a total beginner using an EOS 300 film camera, it served its purpose at the time but I don't feel as though its up to scratch any more. The kit lens is, well, a kit lens(!) and the Sigma I love, its my newest lens and takes lovely shots.

I'd really like to invest in some quality glass, but I'm not sure which lens to go for, I take a variety of shots including portraits and landscapes, I've also done a couple of weddings and would like to do more in the future.

I'm currently considering the Canon 70-200mm F2.8L or the 17-40mm f4L. There's quite a price difference between them, so I've been contemplating the 70-200mm f4L instead - what I'd really like is some opinions on these lenses. Or should I just save my cash?! :help:

ta muchly,

Kris

The "which 70-200 L" conundrum is a total mare and I think it's a good enough reason on it's own to go Nikon/Pentax/Oly or whatever.

When I got mine there was the f4 or the f2.8IS and I used my pragmatic business head for once and got the cheaper option as it would fulfill the role I had in mind..... and I have to say that 4 years on, it's been great and got money shot after money shot and I've never personally missed the extra stop or the IS. But then I've used it mostly for studio portrait work, outdoor motorsports and landscapes.

If you're needs are indoor, lowlight situations, it's totally different and both the stop and the IS would be invaluable.

I'd say save yourself the headache and get the 17-40 but I know that the kit lens can produce some great images, so I'd have to put it lower on my upgrade list. :)

The 70-200 options are a personal choice and there's no doubt there's a heavy premium for the faster aperture and the IS if you don't really need it - or can live without it.

The 17-40L though is a superb bit of glass for the money, giving a range on your crop sensor from moderate wide angle to just beyond the equivalent of a 50mm standard lens on a full sensor. The constant aperture is a real bonus, but don't overlook how close you can get with this lens either - certainly close-ups of flowers, butterflies etc are well within it's capabilities.

There's me agreeing with Daz again - need to watch that! ;)

Back