Which lens do you think?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all! So I’ve got a Sigma 150-600mm and a canon 50mm prime, I’m after a bit of a wider lens but also a wall about lens, I’ve been eyeing up a few and I just can’t seem to choose... my budget is max £275 I say.. so these are the ones I’ve been looking at.
I have a canon 7D

I’m looking to buy used :)

canon 18-55mm STM
Canon 10-22mm
Canon 17-40mm (I know it’s for FF but I like the build and image quality)
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5

Those are the ones I’ve got my eye on at the moment, isn’t it hard choosing the ring lens!

If anyone else has some suggested lens for me please feel free to list them.

Thanks for any help
Chilt

Last edited:
If it's for a crop body then the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 is a decent lens and can be bought new for around that ... if not then you will certainly get a used mint one.

The 10-20mm/22mm lenses are not that suitable as a walkaround lens (IMO)

Last edited:
10-18mm STM, cheap as chips and gets better reviews than the 10-22

If it's for a crop body then the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 is a decent lens and can be bought new for around that ... if not then you will certainly get a used mint one.

thanks mike! Never considered that lens, will fake

The 10-20mm/22mm lenses are not that suitable as a walkaround lens (IMO)
10-18mm STM, cheap as chips and gets better reviews than the 10-22

the 10-18 does look like a good lens but the build quality is that puts me off

Canon 17-40mm works well on the 7D and the image quality is really good (IMO). I use it both on FF and a 7D.

im still considering it tbf, I love the look of the lens and it’s built well!

the 10-18 does look like a good lens but the build quality is that puts me off

I've never heard of anyone breaking one, these plastic mount lenses can be pretty tough. Obviously no weather sealing but you're not getting that within your budget either way

Canon do an efs 15-85mm IS. Look for a second hand one as new ones cost a fortune. The downside of this lens is that it has a slow aperture range F3.5-5.6.

I'd go for a (35mm equivalent) prime or a 17-50mm f2.8, but that's just me.

Whilst I'm on the subject of me I wouldn't touch the Canon 17-40mm f4. It's an old design and f4 and on APS-C it is IMO outclassed by the various 17/18-50mm f2.8 options. Frankly, apart from the lure of the badge I can't see a reason to buy this older design f4 lens. Sorry :D

Don’t bother with the 17-40 f/4 as it’s not sharp until at least f/8. The 16-35 f/4 is way better and is sharp from f/4. Plus it has IS. Not much difference in price but huge difference in image quality

It’s more expensive because it’s a far superior lens, but not too much difference in price - well worth spending the extra

Canon do an efs 15-85mm IS. Look for a second hand one as new ones cost a fortune. The downside of this lens is that it has a slow aperture range F3.5-5.6.
A mate has one of these, and to be honest after seeing some of the pics I wasn't impressed. I've seen sharper off the 18-55mm kit lens. Now maybe his is a duff one, but I'd want to try one out first.

I have used a 17-40L for years on cropped and FF cameras. It may not be perfect but it suits my needs. The OP will not get a 16-35 L with his budget. If possible try before you buy.

Back