Which lens for astrophotography?

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Out of the two, which would be better for astrophotography (particularly the Northern Lights)

Sony FE 24mm f1.4 GM

OR

Sony FE 20mm f1.8 g

Northern lights are big and the wider angle gets more in, regardless of it's slightly smaller max aperture. I'd go with the 20mm.

IMO (and E!), the wider the better and the extra 1/3 stop that the faster lens offers isn't enough to make a real difference now that high ISO performance is so good. You can always crop into the wider image to get the FoV of the slightly longer lens but it's not that easy to get a wider view when shooting astro!

The only time I've been fortunate enough to see and shoot the Aurora, I used a 14mm f/2.8 and an 8mm f/3.5. Only got a few minutes of shooting before the lens got iced up - we were close to a waterfall in Iceland and the spray was settling on the front element...

IMO (and E!), the wider the better and the extra 1/3 stop that the faster lens offers isn't enough to make a real difference now that high ISO performance is so good. You can always crop into the wider image to get the FoV of the slightly longer lens but it's not that easy to get a wider view when shooting astro!

The only time I've been fortunate enough to see and shoot the Aurora, I used a 14mm f/2.8 and an 8mm f/3.5. Only got a few minutes of shooting before the lens got iced up - we were close to a waterfall in Iceland and the spray was settling on the front element...

See, I started off with the 20G and then swapped it out for the 24GM :)

:ROFLMAO:

Back