which lens for motorcross photography?

Edit My Images
Yes
Its time for a new lens to suit my canon 400D :woot:
I already have the 17-55mm and the 70- 300mm kit lens, which is the one I have found myself using mostly.
I mainly do motorcross work so I need something that is quite quick and has IS as I cant always have a tripod out in the mud.
Is there anyone that can suggest which lens would be suitable?
Cheers

Hello Mate,
Morph on this forum uses a Canon 70-200 f4 for his MX shots, i did some with a 100-400 L but its a big big. Depends on where you shoot from really.
Dean:)

Is it the 17-55 you have or 18-55? If you've splurged on a 17-55 already then the logical purchase would be a 70-200 f/2.8 IS.....

70-200 will probably get the most use. The IS isn't something I'd worry too much about to be honest, the shutter speeds you'll mostly be using should be quick enough to avoid shake anyway.

I'd plonk for:

Canon 70-300 IS (not that the IS is important, just that the glass is pretty good)

Canon 70-200 f2.8 (in case its dark)

Canon 24-70 (in case you get a chance to get up close and personal)

Some sort of UWA or fisheye for those creative effects

And a flash (or two... or three)

If youre looking for just one lens then i'd agree with dod and go for the 70-200. Id also agree about IS as it really is designed to steady shots that dont involve panning and there is no substitute for improving youre technique!:D If you can id go for the F2.8 but there's nothing wrong with the F4 and thats basically down to your budget.

B->

I'd also say 70-200 and not worry about IS...

thanks for all the advice and suggestions (y) ive narrowed it down to the 70-200 f2.8 and a 430 flash for now. lots more practice to do for me, ill try and post some pics up soon for C&C.

If you're going for the 70-200 I'd be tempted to go for the battery grip (if you don't have one already) rather than the flash. The 70-200's a heavy lens and the grip would help make the set up more balanced.

I've only tried my hand at Motocross once but at the time I had a 70-200 2.8 and the focal length felt pretty much spot on (although the 70mm was a little too long on occasions), as mentioned elsewhere, IS isn't really going to help.

Mine was the Nikon version, but as far as focal length goes I would say a 70-200 would be ideal...

Motocross with a 70-200

If you're going for the 70-200 I'd be tempted to go for the battery grip (if you don't have one already) rather than the flash. The 70-200's a heavy lens and the grip would help make the set up more balanced.

He's right you know...

My advice would be to see how the camera feels to you with the 70-200 mounted, yes it is a heavy lens, but I find it fine without the battery grip.

Back