Which Lens? for motorsports..

Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking to get a new lens for my trusty sony a100... It's going to be used for motor sport's so what should i be looking for?

How much do you want to spend and how serious you are about motorsport?

Can't speak for Sony, but for Canon a lens of suitable range can be had for £ 120 but you can spend 50 times that if you wished.

Kind of depends on how close you can get to the action.

Some tracks you can fairly close so anything from a 180mm - 300mm will work. If you are going to Moto X events then maybe a shorter length say up to 200mm.

So look at a zoom that can cover those ranges, 70-210mm would be a good start. You don't necessarily need fast glass, but you may have to up the ISO to 400 depending on how fast the subject moves (Super Bikes = very quick, Vintage Cars = not so quick :D) or the light conditions at the time of the event.

It's not really a specific lens that im looking for..... just guidelines as to what i should be aiming towards..

I already have a cosina 70-210 4.5-5.6 which i have used with different degrees of success.. but it is a bit of a cheapo lens to be expecting greatness from..

Hi GavSt
I have a Sony a300 and do quite a lot of motorsport photography mainly ralling, I use a Tamron 70-300 and find it excellent.
Alan

Back