which lens for newborn photography

Edit My Images
No
which lens would you guys recommend for newborn/baby shoots
I have a budget of £400-£450. As I shoot in homes with limited space I have to take this into account.
Looking for something with fast glass/focussing and sharp. Will be using with a 5d mk3.
Any recommendations?

Thanks Kerry

What lenses do you already own?

If your are patient you should find a used Canon 24-105mm L lens within your budget,
They are not the sharpest of the L lens range but will be more than sharp enough for new-born photography.

James is absolutely right - it depends on you and how you shoot.

If it were me I'd be getting the 85mm 1.8 and zooming with my feet. The 2.8's are great but expensive and if you're shooting in natural light, the extra stop of light from a prime will come in handy.

85mm f1.8 would be a great choice, as would a fixed 50mm.

You don't *need* a 24-70mm because you are in complete control of the setup in this instance and shouldn't need a zoom - you'll also benefit from having the additional speed a fast wide prime affords. You should also though consider a macro lens to augment your 50/85mm.

I shoot all of my newborns with a 50mm and 105 Macro (on FF Nikon), all natural light. When I had an 85mm I used to use that as well but it wasn't entirely necessary.

As the others have said, much depends on your own personal preferences and the way you shoot.

There are good and affordable prime lenses which would probably be ideal for you - the Canon 'nifty 50 f1.8 is a little cracker and costs peanuts. There is also an 85 f1.8 which is affordable.

You mentioned you're shooting in people's homes so what are you currently using? It may be that what you have will be sufficient.

50mm is ideal for newborns on full-frame. 85mm puts me too far away. I'd probably go for a Canon 50/1.4 until I had the funds for a Sigma 50 Art.

We shoot newborns with 50L, 35L and 135L but majority of the shoot is done with the 50L or 35L (a couple examples here if you fancy it) and I zoom with my feet (all low-key lighting in the studio and natural with a bit of fill flash if we go into the Orchard where our studio is). For your budget I'd take a look at the 28mm f/1.8 USM which I don't think anyone has mentioned (if you already have a 50mm. We have the 28mm and 85mm USM and can vouch for both being quality pieces of kit that haven't missed a beat as take them to weddings also. Love my primes!

Back