which lens? for photographing body images..

Name
jo
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a canon 450d and have a basic 18-55 lens, which im finding is very good at shooting close up portrait pictures but not soo good at getting full length body images (maybe i need more of a wide angle lens??) .. so was wondering if anyone could suggest a good lenses which would be suitable for this, it would be greatly appreciated as i am very much still an amature!

thanks,

jo

Hey Jo

I don't think you should have too much trouble shooting full length body pictures with an 18-55 assuming you are turning the camera to portrait instead of landscape (silly comment I know).

I shoot a lot of my full length body shots with my telephoto lens which requires me to be a lot further away and so a much larger work distance, but I like the results it gives me. Depending on what you have available you could get something like the 50mm 1.8 ("nifty fifty") which will allow some great portrait shots and sits on my other SLR for portrait shots, or something a bit more flexible like an 18-135.

Hope that helps :)

you want to be further back to shoot pleasing full body images ;)

be very wary of going past 35 on it to avoid weird effects, obv go nuts if you want the weird effects :p

For me the 18-55 is a full length lens if anything! Close up images should generally be shot with a longer focal length.

For me the 18-55 is a full length lens if anything! Close up images should generally be shot with a longer focal length.

I agree with this

baring in mind your 1.6 crop factor, this 50mm could just about swiung it for a portrait but 85 or 100 would be better for portraiture

85mm is a great portrait all-rounder at a good price for 1.6x cameras. 18-55mm is too wide for close up, OK from 35-55mm for full body but there are other reasons why I wouldn't touch it.

You can use any lens to photograph a body full-length...you just move your feet and hey-presto! you are closer or further from the subject...miraculous as it seems, one does not need a zoom for every conceivable photographic situation...
A 35mm-50mm focal length will give a natural, distortion-free angle of view...use a longer lens if you like, but you'll need to stand further away...

You can use any lens to photograph a body full-length...you just move your feet and hey-presto!

Exactly, I've shot full length with a 300mm f/4 before now. Easy enough if you have the distance.

With a 18-55mm, you should have NO problems. If you need to go wider at 18mm to get full length shots, you're FAR too close. :)

Back