which lens for portraits?

Name
deb
Edit My Images
Yes
hey guys, ive just sold my d70 and an old lens to get funds for a new lens for my studio portraits, trouble is i know not much about lenses and i only have £200 to spend on one, any suggestions? its for my d90 btw, thanks xx

A 50mm in a studio is a little restrictive, for that budget you wont get a 24-70 2.8 granted, but it will get you an 18-70 and change. A great lens for the money

whats the difference between d and g on the lenses? there is a big difference in the price so im guessing g is better lol

For studio portraits your aperture setting will likely be in the sweet zone of even consumer lenses at f8 or f11. So an 18-70 would be a decent choice if you are on a budget.

my 2p...

35mm f1.8 nikon (at around 170 in jessops). Useful outside and in the studio... but may be too wide? Depends on your studio space?

50mm f1.4d (the older one) - around 200 ukp
50mm f1.4g (newer one) - around 300ukp

g is meant to be nicer/crisper and good for full frame *
If I recall the G are also bigger (thread of 72 or 67mm) vs the d at 52 mm thread... So more and better glass with nicer coatings... Oh and I think the G might have a motor in it too for AF on the cameras without the motor. But that might mean no manual focus...

*guessing ;)

Last edited:
thanks guys, ive got 3 weeks till my first studio day with paying customers so will get cracking this week and choose one, im so excited lol

If you get a good deal and are prepared to spend a bit more, you might be able to get an 85mm f/1.8 AF - a true portrait lens.

g is meant to be nicer/crisper and good for full frame *
If I recall the G are also bigger (thread of 72 or 67mm) vs the d at 52 mm thread... So more and better glass with nicer coatings... Oh and I think the G might have a motor in it too for AF on the cameras without the motor. But that might mean no manual focus...

The G lens has had very mixed responses - and OP is shooting on a DX body anyway. The G has a 58mm thread, the D a 52mm - besides, that doesn't mean that it is 'better' glass at all. A high quality fast prime with a small filter size could easily destroy a larger zoom lens with a larger filter size. Nicer coatings? Both the D and G are multicoated, and the G hardly incorporates any of Nikon's recent lens technologies - no Nano coating, no ED elements, no aspherical elements. The G does have an autofocus motor, but the D90 can autofocus the D lens just fine because it has it's own autofocus motor built in to the body. There is manual focusing on the G lens; wrong information is at best misleading, at worst becomes picked up and ends up becoming the norm - please don't spread it :shake:

ive found some 85mm f/1.8's and some 85mm f/1.4's i can afford but not sure what make to go for, samyang ones are cheaper so im guessing its best not to get them lol

shanlea said:
ive found some 85mm f/1.8's and some 85mm f/1.4's i can afford but not sure what make to go for, samyang ones are cheaper so im guessing its best not to get them lol

If you don't mind manual focussing the Samyang is reputed to be very good indeed.

In fact yes, the Samyang might be a good choice. If it's in a controlled studio setting where the subject is unlikely to be moving much backwards and forwards, you'd hardly need to change the plane of focus much anyway.

Although 85mm on a crop body would need a bit of space unless we are talking head shots only. I use a 24-70 on FF and couldn't cope with a prime myself, but I shoot little ones most of the time so I'm generally on the floor rather than standing so would need to roll around on the floor to frame a prime LOL. Really depends what/who the OP is shooting.

The samyang is pointless if you're not using it wide open. Better off with an autofocus 1.8.

If you get a good deal and are prepared to spend a bit more, you might be able to get an 85mm f/1.8 AF - a true portrait lens.

The G lens has had very mixed responses - and OP is shooting on a DX body anyway. The G has a 58mm thread, the D a 52mm - besides, that doesn't mean that it is 'better' glass at all. A high quality fast prime with a small filter size could easily destroy a larger zoom lens with a larger filter size. Nicer coatings? Both the D and G are multicoated, and the G hardly incorporates any of Nikon's recent lens technologies - no Nano coating, no ED elements, no aspherical elements. The G does have an autofocus motor, but the D90 can autofocus the D lens just fine because it has it's own autofocus motor built in to the body. There is manual focusing on the G lens; wrong information is at best misleading, at worst becomes picked up and ends up becoming the norm - please don't spread it :shake:

The 50mm 1.8G does have an aspherical element though! see here

would either of these 2 be any good?

Nikon AFS 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED DX SWM Aspherical Lens
or
Nikon fit Sigma 28-70mm D f2.8 EX Aspherical Pro Lens

Back