Which lens next?

Edit My Images
No
I've got a Canon 400d with the following lenses -

18-55 Kit - Useful
70-300mm Sigma - not that impressed.
50mm prime F1.8 MKII - Very impressed

I'm thinking of buying a new lens and would like some input from you guys.

I'm currently thinking along the lines of :

28-135mm 3.5/5.6
28-200mm 3.5/5.6

My decision is going to be influenced by a fashion shoot I have to do in a couple of weeks.

We'll need more info that that. What do you want to shoot? Why do you like the lenses you do? What is appealing about the new lenses you mentioned? What's your budget?

Immediate reaction to the lenses you've listed is that they don't appear to do anything that one or other of your existing lenses won't do, and they are not very wide-angle at the short end. What brands are they?

We'll need more info that that. What do you want to shoot? Why do you like the lenses you do? What is appealing about the new lenses you mentioned? What's your budget?

Immediate reaction to the lenses you've listed is that they don't appear to do anything that one or other of your existing lenses won't do, and they are not very wide-angle at the short end. What brands are they?

Fair points. What I'm after is quality, crips images.

Portrait is certainly of interest - but then so are sporting events.

Was thinking of Canon.

Budget about £400. BUT if fixed aperture is the way to go then fine - I'll have to start saving.

70-200mm f4l is just a few quid more
85mm f1.8 might be worth a look if you like the 50mm but want something a bit longer

What kind of light will be at the fashion shoot? Just wondering whether you may need some fast glass?

Very good question. I've been told 'very good lighting'. But this statement was made by a non-photographer.

I'm starting to lean towards using my 50mm F1.8. It's really the best lens I've got.

I've just purchased a studio lighting kit, so I was thinking about setting that up elsewhere at the venue and taking some shots of the models before and after the event.

Thoughts?

you could hire a 70..200 f2.8 (i.e. from lensesforhire.co.uk) and then get a feel for which focal length you ended using most which might then drive the purchase of a fast prime, and as you say you have the 50mm if 70 is even too long.

I'm confused too.
do you want to shoot fashion? go low light? or do sports?

if the 70-300 is a bit pap for you...I quite like the Canon 70-300 IS if you're on a budget
for fashion papping nothing beats good wide aperture when you can't set up the light
the 50-150mm f2.8 sigma opens up those opportunities.
however, what about a flash unit?
if you like primes there are some good units about, the 30mm sigma or similar if you're looking to do studio work. is nice as a 'standard lens' on a 1.6 cropped DSLR body

p.s yes, these are the lenses I picked if you hadn't noticed a theme!

Forget about all around lenses if you want some minimum quality.
I suppose 28mm is wide enough for you so, if you are looking for a very good mid range lens with excellent quality, I can recommend you the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. A good copy of that lens is capable to produce images as sharp of even sharper as those produced by a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L. Of you course you don't have the same built quality or the same auto-focus speed, but the results are impressive.
If you want something wider, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is also amazing.

In my opinion, Tamron is the best producing mid-range lenses, Sigma in the telephoto field and Tokina in the wide angle category.
Of course I'm excluding Canon lenses, taking in account your budget.

Back