Which lens/settings for indoor equestrian photography?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

First question from a beginner - I know there are some equine photographers on here, but figure that anyone who knows their way around a camera will have a better idea than I do.

Which (Canon fitting) lens is best for taking pictures of horses at indoor competitions? I am presuming that the low light and the speed of the animals is a double issue, but am sure that this is a common query!

I am using a 20D at the moment, but am planning on upgrading (probably to a 60D) soonish. I have a limited budget, but appreciate that some of these lenses are hard to find secondhand.

Last edited:
Give us a clue as to the budget.

Something like a 70-200 2.8 will work but these are not cheap. High ISO ability with low noise will help too.

Thanks - the budget would probably be around £600 - that would get me a Sigma, but not the Canon, and I don't know how they compare.

I am using a Canon 135mm f/2.0 this weekend to see how I get on with that, but I am not sure which lens would be best to buy. You're not the first person to mention a 70-200 f/2.8!

Not a Canon user but many people have the Siggy version and like it.

Some people moan about quality control with Sigma, but I have been using some of their lenses for donkeys years and never had a bad one yet.

Ideally you would like the Canon version with IS but you can still achieve a lot with good holding technique and, the high ISO/low noise of the 60D is I read very good.

The 135mm f/2 will be a good place to start. See how you get on with that and then decide. After the weekend you should know:
- Whether 135mm is long enough
- Whether you could cope with f/2.8 or you need something faster
- Whether IS would be of any benefit
- Whether you can cope with primes or would prefer a zoom

The best lens is surely the 200mm f/2 L IS, but that's about 8x over your budget.

The other thing to consider is that horses are, on the whole, quite large so there's also the limited depth of field to consider. f2.8 is usually fine when shooting from side on but it can be very difficult to get all you need in focus if the horse is coming towards you. Sometimes, high ISO performance can be as important as speed of lens.

To answer your original question, the 70-200 is your best bet and, at your budget, the Sigma is the most likely although you may find a 2nd hand aged Canon one for maybe a little more (not a Canon user myself so not 100% sure on the last bit but don't reckon I'm that far off).

IS will not be of use as you need to use a fairly high shutter speed to freeze the action.

IS will not be of use as you need to use a fairly high shutter speed to freeze the action.

If he is photographing a stationery horse in the ring and is at the upper ISO with a slow shutter speed. IS will certainly help.

With Nikon the VR can (not always )assist.

If I can shoot at over 1/500th I switch it off, however if what I am standing on moves( a scaffold built platform with people walking on it then I use mine in active mode to assist in controlloing, uncontrollable movement.:LOL:

Without knowing details of the venue we can only offer maybes:)

Thanks for the input so far! I had not even considered depth of field - this is how much of a beginner I am, but I hope to pick things up quickly.

For those of you who know the equestrian venues in the South (ish), I am specifically taking about Keysoe (http://www.keysoe.com/Facilities.htm) for this weekend, but also in general terms for the future.

I have three horses entered - a mare and foal combo who will be shown loose and in hand, and a mare who will be shown loose and in hand, and will also be ridden under saddle and loose jumped. That covers most possibilities of indoor picture requirements, other than a fast gallop under saddle!

Ok, this brings us onto settings...!

Can anybody advise on what sort of ISO/other settings would be required for a 20D with the 135mm f/2 in this sort of low light situation?

Blimey. Thank you - I will have a play before the weekend to see what I can get. I suppose portraits outside in the sun will always be an option!!

...and as one further point, if you are inside watch your White Balance; see the two sample photos on their own website for reference - they are way off!

For those of you who know the equestrian venues in the South (ish), I am specifically taking about Keysoe (http://www.keysoe.com/Facilities.htm) for this weekend, but also in general terms for the future

Blimey! I covered a Stallion Parade there a 18 months ago, and as has already been alluded to, it is not the best lit arena by a long way! I had to use 6400iso for most of the day to get anything good. You need to pray that its not cloudly outside also as that will make the inside even worse.

Good luck with it, but you will need at least constant f2.8 and hope that your camera does well at high iso's

:eek: Ahhh. I am doomed, aren't I!

Thanks for all the tips so far - if anyone has any other bright ideas, please do let me know!

Thank you - I do appreciate that it's not an easy task. There will be a proper photographer there and I am sure I will buy some shots to make sure I get some decent photos, but I always like to have some pictures to put on my website - so it is good if I can get some myself to put online.

I realise that if any of my pics are usable it is going to be luck rather than skill or judgement, but it would be nice to have a few. Especially as the horses are foal sale!

to be brutally honest the 20D will struggle, anything at ISO800 and above is horribly noisey.

and that indoor arena looks horribly gloomy. there have been days where ive had to shoot at ISO6400, f2.8 and 1/640th in something similar on an overcast day.

my advise - monopod to get slightly longer exposure and wait until they are stationary and hope they dont move.

Back