Which lens to buy

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I want to try my hand at macro photography,I have a Nikon D5500 and the two lenses I have in mind are Sigma 105 mm f2.8 or Nikor 105 f2.8 the dilemma is there's about £250 difference in the price am I getting the same shots with either and is that Nikor lens just better,I know the build quality probably is ..Help please

Go with the Sigma as Robert says. It's at least as good as the Nikkor optically and there's nothing wrong with the build quality. Use the money saved on some extension tubes so you can get even closer and/or on flash equipment.

Thank you F/1.4 I'm beginning to discover it is,it's also good for portraits.As a very new photographer and I feel that phrase is not apt for me yet,maybe one day.I am starting at the local photographic club a six week course which will teach me everything.I will at some stage have to buy a laptop so will ask members advice at some stage.

Yep, even the older Sigma is very good. I do prefer the OS version though and is my current macro lens. As you say it's a very nice lens for portraits too. AF on macro lenses is not the fastest but perfectly adequate for portraits. At really close distance AF does struggle more but I prefer MF for macro shots anyway.

Back