Which lens to hire - Karate and Cross Country

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

At the end of the month my son has a Scouts cross country event and a club karate tournament over one weekend.

I am considering hiring a lens to use for both events.

My current lenses are:
70-300mm F/4.5-5.6, not really quick enough for the Karate.
50mm F/1.4, fast enough but limited in range, used this one at last years Karate the most.
16-85mm F/3.5-5.6, I used this one for last years Karate too but found it wasn't quite fast enough.
A wide angle Sigma that's of no use for either event.

My dilemma is whether to go for the 24-70mm F/2.8 or the 70-200mm F/2.8?

I have taken a look at the last couple of Karate tournaments and last year the majority of the shots I took were with the 50mm (145 shots) and then cropped quite a bit, of the others most were between 50 and 70mm but also cropped a bit, so it looks like the 24-70 would fit the bill but the extra reach of the 70-200 would be better for the cross country I guess.

The Karate tournament will be in a sports hall with horrible lighting and the cross country will be on a Scouts camp, maybe open field or through woods.

Which would you go for?

Paul.

Last edited:
I've got a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L already and recently used it for a 5 a side footy day indoors in a sports hall (with those big sodium light that are yellow) and it was certainly quick enough for that. Although I set a custom WB I still had some work to do in PP to remove some colour cast, but the lens worked perfectly. It should be even better for the cross country as the 200 range will get you plenty of scope for action shots.

Tough one. I can't think of a single lens that will do both jobs well. You need the fastest possible aperture for karate and decent reach for outdoors.

I'd be tempted to hire the 70-200 f2.8 and buy a second hand 50mm f1.8 and sell it afterwards for virtually no loss.

70-200 hands down.

For the karate it depends on hpw close you can get to the mats, if you are allows at the side of the mats then the 70-200 will be too long. I shoot martial arts alot and my go to lens in my 24-70 f2.8, I have the 70-200 too which sits on my 2nd body for close up shots.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've got a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L already and recently used it for a 5 a side footy day indoors in a sports hall (with those big sodium light that are yellow)

Yep, those are the type of lights in the sports hall the Karate will be in :(

For the karate it depends on hpw close you can get to the mats, if you are allows at the side of the mats then the 70-200 will be too long. I shoot martial arts alot and my go to lens in my 24-70 f2.8, I have the 70-200 too which sits on my 2nd body for close up shots.

I'll be able to get mat side but it's mainly a Kata tournament with a demo at the end, if I shoot in portrait I may get away with the 70-200 but I may niss the odd shot.
I did try the 70-300 I have but it was just not quick enough.

I'll take on board what everyone has said and have a good think.

Thanks
Paul.

Over the past 5 years or so I've shot a lot of judo tournaments and bought the 70-200 f/2.8 specifically for that. Not the same as Karate, I know, and the players are generally in close contact for much of the time (making the angle of view required smaller) but even stood next to the mat the 70-200 is good for about 95% of the shots.

My second body has a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on for the times when the 70-200 is too long/narrow.

hope that helps :)

You could consider the Canon 135 f/2.0 for the Karate - it's excellent for indoor sports and exceptionally fast focussing too.

Over the past 5 years or so I've shot a lot of judo tournaments and bought the 70-200 f/2.8 specifically for that. Not the same as Karate, I know, and the players are generally in close contact for much of the time (making the angle of view required smaller) but even stood next to the mat the 70-200 is good for about 95% of the shots.

My second body has a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on for the times when the 70-200 is too long/narrow.

hope that helps :)

Thanks Steve, I'm leaning to the 70-200 now :)

You could consider the Canon 135 f/2.0 for the Karate - it's excellent for indoor sports and exceptionally fast focussing too.

Thanks David, I think 135mm on a crop body will probably be too long for the hall the Karate will be in.

I didn't mention in the original post but I'll be using a Nikon D7000.

Thanks all.
Paul.

Back