Which lens with extension tubes?

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had some success shooting damsels etc with my Panasonic 100-400mm lens.
I have a couple of extension tubes but haven't really used them yet.
I'm just wondering which lens would be best to use with them?
I'm using a G80 body.
The lenses I have are all Panasonic.
25mm f1.7
12-60mm f3.5-f5.6
35-100mm f2.8
100-400mm f4-f6.3

The tubes are 10mm and 16mm

Cheers :)

As a rule of thumb shorter focal lengths are better with extension tubes and longer focal lengths are better with screw on macro lenses like raynox.

I'd start with the 25mm f1.7 in your case.

The tubes are 10mm and 16mm
I can't help much with the lenses as I use a Canon 100 mm Macro. & 31mm tube.
But I would suggest that you will probably need both tubes to make any real difference,
Having said that, you should be able to get close with the 100-400 as is, with out disturbing "stuff" too much?

Try the 100-400 @ 400 I want to see the results

Having said that, you should be able to get close with the 100-400 as is, with out disturbing "stuff" too much?
I know what you mean.
The minimum focus distance is 1.3m
Wondered if I'd fill the frame better with tubes?

I know what you mean.
The minimum focus distance is 1.3m
Wondered if I'd fill the frame better with tubes?
Its been a long time since I tried it, But my Canon 70-200 has a min distance of 1 meter & IIRC with the 31mm tube that reduced to circa 10cm.

I know its a Sony but have you seen some of @Lez325 images with the 100-400?

I know its a Sony but have you seen some of @Lez325 images with the 100-400
I'll have a look.
@Lez325 has some awesome images.
I did notice he seems to use f8 as a minimum on a lot of shots, whereas I've used f6.3 on most of mines.
I'll try stopping down to f8 and they'll be a bit sharper.

Last edited:
Not a Panasonic user (Canon) but I mostly use extension tubes on my 800 mm F5.6 L IS to reduce it's 6 meter minimum focus distance. Naturally they also work well on my 100-400 Mk2 and 100 Macro.

I find them very useful so I bought a couple of sets (£20 in total) so I could have one set in each backpack.

I'll have a look.
@Lez325 has some awesome images.
I did notice he seems to use f8 as a minimum on a lot of shots, whereas I've used f6.3 on most of mines.
I'll try stopping down to f8 and they'll be a bit sharper.

f8 is the minimum f stop when using a 1.4 teleconverter on the 100-400 f5.6 :)

so, my conclusions from this experiment?
The 100-400mm is a great lens for capturing close-ups without getting too close.
The 25mm with ext tubes requires me to get so close, and dof is so small, I think I'd find this combination too much hassle.
The 35-100mm with extension tubes gives better magnification without getting too close, and its smaller and lighter than the 100-400mm, which would work for me I think.

The next time i go out, I think I will use the 100-400mm as it is, and take the 35-100mm with the extension tubes.

If I get right into doing close-up/macro, then I may look at a dedicated macro lens. I did have a Sigma 105mm macro before, but sold it due to lack of use.

I appreciate all the input guys.

Last edited:
That last one one seems pretty spot on the me Robert (y)

Last edited:
As a rule of thumb shorter focal lengths are better with extension tubes and longer focal lengths are better with screw on macro lenses like raynox.

I'd start with the 25mm f1.7 in your case.

Yup, macro rings work best with shorter FL, there is a sweet spot which tends to be in or around 25 - 50mm, you want the ring length to match the lens FL for 1:1 afaik. Any longer and you're much better off with something like a Raynox, at 100mm with the Raynox 250 for example, you get 1:1, you get increased magnification beyond that. But even on something like a 60mm lens you'll get 1:2 for larger subjects [butterflies/dragonflies]

Back