Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
Which would you choose out of these 2?
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro
Sigma 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 DG MACRO
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 AF ED

Am i correct in thinking both the Sigma lenses having the macro switch on them?
The lens will be used mainly for sports photography.
I have a budget of £200 max so suggest any other lens aswell.

It's for a D70s.

I don't think eiither would be best for sport - which sport(s)?

i've got the sigma 70-300.
For the money, its a good lens.
For what you want, its not so good.
In the dark, the lens usually hunts for an auto-focus target, and takes maybe a second to find it? If rallying and BMXing, then thats no good.
In the bright sunlight, its quick to focus (ish) and perfect shutter speeds can be used.

Its a great lens for use in the bright sun. Anything other than that, tripods and manual focus need to be used.

I have the Sigma 70-300 mm APO DG macro and while it's a very nice lens for static subjects (mine is pretty sharp even at 300 mm), its AF isn't very quick (it's not too slow either, though) and it has some trouble keeping up with e.g. seagulls sometimes but it could be due to my D50's tracking abilities which aren't very good.
Perhaps the version with a built-in AF motor is somewhat better, but I doubt it it the price is to be kept low.
I don't know about the rest, but I'd guess the 28-300 is slower to focus.

I would try and get the extra cash and maybe go for a used sigma 70-200mm 2.8 or a used nikon 80-200mm these will give you the speed you need and are both awesome lenses..

...or get yourself a 85mm 1.8...not much length but superb optics and quite fast focusing..

right so general concensus is that they just aren't fast enough? I cant stretch my budget above £200 really though so i'm struggling as the 70-200 f/2.8 is £480 and used ones are going for £300+

I have heard and seen plenty of good things about the Sigma as a starter lens. However you have to face facts, given the budget you won't get something which is ideally suited to the photography you are talking about. All of the suggested lens choices will struggle in lower light situations as well as slow focussing which are both essential for outdoor Motorsport.

As a way to dip into the world of zoom lenses, choose any of them. If you like what you can achieve then great, if not you will have to look at spending £500 + on glass which can help you achieve the shots you want.

306Dean,

although I have sold my 80-200, I would definitely hold out for buying a second hand 'faster' lens. With only a small amount of patience (not many photographers have any), you will be able to pick up something very good close to your budget. People upgrade all the time so there are always good deals to be had.

I have a 28-300 sigma which I would let go for a sensible price <£100 as it always proves to be a great travel / general purpose lens, but honestly, anything that isn't fast would not suit your needs for sports and you would just be wasting your money.

Back