Which lens

Name
Steve :-)
Edit My Images
Yes
Do I buy a second hand Canon EF70-300 F/4-5.6 IS USM OR a new Tamron A005 70-300 F/4.0-5.6 LD AF DI VC USD Help! :)

Hi Steve, have a look here http://www.pixel-peeper.com/ and see how both lenses compare with each other. I've not used either of those lenses but I am a fan of the Tamron VC system. Compared to the older Canon IS system the Tamron wins hands down IMO. I have a Tamron 28-300 VC just as a holiday lens when I want to travel light (it's in the bag with my Eos M at the moment and works well with that) and the wife has an 18-270 PZD as a holiday lens and both are excellent at controlling image shake at lower shutter speeds.

Thanks modchild.
Having spent the morning reading reviews and watching videos of them both, I went to calumet and spoke to the spoke and decided on the the Tamron.
So having next week off, guess I'll be out trying it.

Thanks modchild.
Having spent the morning reading reviews and watching videos of them both, I went to calumet and spoke to the spoke and decided on the the Tamron.
So having next week off, guess I'll be out trying it.

Good choice, the Canon isn't as good and could do with a refresh. I'm sure once they do that it will be a better lens all round although I would also expect it to be dearer than the current version which itself is already dearer than the Tamron.

Good choice, the Canon isn't as good and could do with a refresh. I'm sure once they do that it will be a better lens all round although I would also expect it to be dearer than the current version which itself is already dearer than the Tamron.

Yup.

I had one and although optically I thought it was ok and the IS was good the rotating front and primative USM with no manual focus override ability made it feel like a very outdated lens and a pedestrian design from too long ago. Deffo should be updated.

Back