which lens?

ejm

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a wide lens for a dx nikon. I was considering a nikkor 20mm prime until someone recommended the tamron 17-50.
Which would you recommend? Sharpness and wide angle are important...

17mm and above is not really wide - more in the realms of standard lenses. For wide you want something in the range of 10-16mm. Any wider than 10mm starts to go fisheye and anything more than 16 and you are going to want wider.
The Tokina 11-16 is highly regarded. The Sigma 10-20 is not to shabby either or there is the Nikon wides too.
Ive had the Tamron 10-24 and it was super soft like marshmallow so got rid of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejm
My other lenses are 2 zooms for motorsports (55-200 and 70-300) my kit 18-55, my 10mm fisheye eye and a 50mm prime.

I appreciate 20mm isn't really wide-wide lol but I was working on that sort of area as I tend to use my 18-55 at 18 pretty much 99% of the time and I figured a prime would be a better option for sharpness. My research on what other suitable lenses would work has not really come to anything useful so thought I'd ask real people on here :)

Last edited:
The widest is the Sigma 8-16mm, a bit better optically than either of their 10-20mm versions. It passes the magic 90 degree boundary. It's wide enough to be able to photograph all four walls of a room or quadrangle while inside it and near a corner.

Reactions: ejm
Back