Beginner Which Lens

Name
Roy Newport
Edit My Images
No
i want to give ago at photographing the the stars,the lenses I have are 100 macro f2.8, 24-105 f4,70-200,all canon L Lenses,a Sigma 11-16 F4 or my nifty fifty 1.8,could you please give me advice on which lens would be the best to use,many thanks Roy.

There are loads of ways to approach this. Depends a bit on whether you are taking landscape shot with stars in (I assume so) or a shot of just the stars.

Assuming the former, wide angle seems to work best so I'd probably lean toward your Sigma lens (are you sure you have got that right? I know there is a Tokina 11-16 but that is a 2.8, didn't know Sigma did an 11-16) or the 24-105. You'll likely want them wide open and quite high iso. Look up the optimal shutter speeds at certain focal lengths for avoiding star trails or if you want star trails, consider blending several exposures.

Canon L 24-205 f4,sigma f4-56 sorry,10-20, it's just of stars ,I read in the local paper their is going to be meteor show next week?

For a meteor shower, you want to cover as much sky as possible, you never know where they are going to show.
From your lenses the Sigma 10-20mm is the clear favourite , but I'm not sure how good it is wide open, you might need to stop it down to f5.6, worth experimenting beforehand to see how sharp it is at F4.
You also want as high an ISO as you dare before you get too much noise or smearing, Gather as much light as you can, they move very fast and only show for a fraction of a second. Expect a lot of shots with nothing to show, keep shooting and hope that one comes across your field of view while the shutter is open.
Lastly dont forget to enjoy the show, its quite a spectacle, if the skies are clear of course.

Back