Which lenses to take?

Edit My Images
Yes
Going to South Africa (garden / wine routes / Cape Town) and calling at Victoria Falls "on way" home. Not intending to go on any Safaris (done that a year or so ago).

Taking my 7d (MkI) and not my newish 5D MkIII (for security reasons) and am thinking of taking just my 17-55 EF-S and my 70-300 Zoom. Might take my 40mm f/2.8 STM as it's featherweight.

Could swap my 17-55 EF-S f/2,8 for my 24-105 f/4 but then I don't really have a wide angle lens for landscapes (could always take several shots at 24mm and merge later?). Any views please?

Mel

Last edited:
Tamron 18-270 or similar? Avoid lens changes completely. Probably not as good optically as the 18-55 but might be good enough as a travel solution unless you want big prints from the results.

Tamron 18-270 or similar? Avoid lens changes completely. Probably not as good optically as the 18-55 but might be good enough as a travel solution unless you want big prints from the results.

Not in business of buying MORE lenses! Its the excellent 17-55 f/2.8 not the standard 18-55 kit lens.

Last edited:
He's not taking the 5D.

I'd personally stick with the 17-55 only. Saves changing lenses and on a crop body, that lens is very well suited to most eventualities.

That's my inclination at the moment (with the 70-300). I don't really want to lug 3 weighty lenses around.

Not in business of buying MORE lenses! Its the excellent 17-55 f/2.8 not the standard 18-55 kit lens.

That'll teach me to read properly! In that case, I'd stick with your choice of 17-55 & 70-300.

This should be in equipment, this is photo sharing :)

I'd shoot panos and stitch them when back

When I went to Cape Town etc last year I took a 70D, 15-85, 70-200 f/4. Worked fine. I stitched a few panos (eg view from Table Mountain) and I could have done with a bit more reach when we saw penguins at Betty's Bay, but by and large I think I got the right balance between convenience and capability.

Thanks all - the 17-55mm f2.8 and the 70-300mm worked out OK. And with the 7D and a monopod were enough to lug around!

Mel

Back