which light meter should I get?

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I am getting a Leica M4-2 in the next few days and was wondering which light is right for me. It has to be cheap, accurate and lasts long. I keep seeing the brand sekonic but dont know which model I should go for. Open to look at different brands. Also please post you opinion/ review on your recommended meter. Thanks.

If you have the dosh, get the CV II meter. Its the 'designer meter'

Otherwise, look in the used camera shops for small meters ( yashica for example made one) that can be attached to the hotshoe. They all work fine

Although these meters are fairly old, the Soviet Sverdlovsk-4 is a fairly good cheap meter, its a semi-spot meter with a field of view equivalent to 180 degrees approx on a 35mm camera. They usually go for about 30 pounds or so on Ebay and if you buy one of the gift set versions then they are a joy to use.

1.jpg

Its a cds meter so unlike some other classic meters it doesn't lose sensitivity and if you calibrate it like it says on this page:

http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/sverdlovsk4/

The batteries are a it of a problem as they are no longer manufactured but in the gift set box version theres an AA battery holder. You can also put button cells in it, its quite robust over what voltage you use if you calibrate it like it says above. You can however get a 1/2 AA size motherboard battery that's almost exactly the right volatge and size, they last for years.

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_er10250.htm

Just a suggestion if you want a slightly cheaper option, their simple in construction and very robust and sell cheaply on ebay.

Me I quite like these little Kodak meters.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kodak-Kodalux...herAccess_RL?hash=item2c531462b2#ht_500wt_956

This ones a finished item but you get the idea for them.

Being able to clip them onto the accessory shoe means its easier to use IMO.

They are made by Gossen so are good and I feel are better than the meters which you have to convert the readings before being able to dial the settings into the camera.

Curry's and PC world have a merged store in Leeds, they gots lots of stuff.
I was browsing a few glass cases in there the other day and came across a Sekonic analogue meter for £75.....and I wanted it instantly....:(
Surrounded by half a dozen lcd display cutting edge tech digi meters it was, but I just want the chromey metal clockwork thing with cogs and stuff in it...:LOL:

I think it was this l208....hotshoe mounter..

£100 at Amazon..:shrug:

I use a sekonic L-408 MultiMaster Light Meter. Wasn't cheap but has been a great buy weather proof too.

I'd recommend one but what's "cheap" in your opinion?

Westons are a no fuss good reliable meter for Rangefinder work

Hi,

I am too at the point where i need to consider what light meter to get, again budget isnt massive, probably just under £100, if i am looking a these differenet models waht should i be considering when looking at the features?

Also for studio photography, do i need to consider a grey card or an exposure card? any recommendations of suggestions?

thanks

How strange I am looking for one too! I am watching this with interest!

Back