Beginner Which light room version?

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all,

I'm looking to get a copy of lightroom, on the adobe site it says I need version 3.0 as a minimum for my camera (500d) - is there a maximum version for my camera as well ?? Unsure which version would be best for me to get.

Thank you,
Dave

Hey Dave,

There isn't a maximum version for any camera AFAIK. As far as I am aware the only CURRENT version of Lightroom choices you have are the subscription model (Photography CC plan that combines LR with Photoshop) or the standalone version of LR - both of which are essentially the same but the CC version is updated more frequently. You can pick up used versions from elsewhere but why would you want to?

As always, quick and helpful answers - thank you!!

Last edited:
If you don't want too much, see if you pickup a used LR5.

Last edited:
@Dave-o

I have an old copy of Lightroom 3 that is taking up space in one of my piles of 'bits'.
SWMBO would be delighted if I got rid of it and reduced the pile, so if it's something you would find helpful you could have it for the cost of postage. Let me know. :)

There you go @Dave-o LR3 and a guidebook for the price of postage, right result

Two fine offers above and I would go with that!

In the longer term you might upgrade to a more modern camera that LR3 won't support, at which time you'll have to think again, but this is the way of things especially now in the world of digital - nothing is forever.

Two fine offers above and I would go with that!

In the longer term you might upgrade to a more modern camera that LR3 won't support, at which time you'll have to think again, but this is the way of things especially now in the world of digital - nothing is forever.

Can always upgrade, I went from 3 to 6 for about fifty quid.

Depends on what you want out of LR. The changes to it over the years have been more than new lens and camera profiles - there were for example extensive changes to how perspective correction features worked a while back. This may of course not be of interest if you don't do the sort of work that requires these features.

Received my copy of LR3 from @gramps today - top chap for doing that, just need to learn how to use it now!!

Plenty of tutorials on youtube to get you going :)

Received my copy of LR3 from @gramps today - top chap for doing that, just need to learn how to use it now!!

Book will be with you next week Dave, once the photos are imported the develop section is fairly self explanatory.

Work down it from the top and you won't go far wrong, set the WB and exposure first then go from there

Got the book coming from @tijuana taxi as well so between youtube and the book, and a friend who's pretty handy with LR.. i should be off to a pretty good start.

Back