Which Macro?

Name
Jo
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone, I'm just after a little advice on a macro lens as I'm stuck as to which will be better for me and my Nikon D90!

After looking around and consulting the budget :LOL: I've narrowed it down to these two:

Sigma 28mm f/1.8

&

Tamron 90mm f/2.8

My work mainly consists of portraiture so I'm looking for something to pick up more detail, especially with younger children as most of my work is usually children now :)
Does anyone own one of these lenses? If so do you have any pics taken with them? I'd love to see what they can do!
Any advice welcome, thanks :D

Jo

The 90mm is a good lens optically, just infuriating to use sometimes due to the manual focus/ autofocus clutch.

Other options are the sigma 105mm, Nikon 105mm, or maybe a sigma 70mm

To be honest, for the use you describe I'm not sure you actually need a macro lens at all. If you're looking for something to use with children then a macro lens might not be a good choice since they tend to have relatively slow AF that can be prone to hunting. Macro lenses can double as superb portrait lenses, but if you're not planning to actually use it for macro then there's no reason to limit your choices to macro lenses (which the 28mm f1.8 actually isn't by the way, it's just a fast wide prime).

To me it sounds like you'd be better off with something like an 85mm f/1.8, that'll give you superb image quality, faster snappier AF plus wider apertures should you ever need them :). I don't know so much about nikon's options for primes like these, but I'm sure someone else here will be able to recommend some specific lenses.

Last edited:
Back