Which Make Of Extension Tubes Pls?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Apologies in advance if this subject has been covered before.. .. I'm looking to buy a set of extension tubes for macro work.. .. I have seen both Kenko and other makes online and noticed a price difference.. .. although I know there are no optics involved, is there a build quality issue that makes Kenko more expensive? Thanks in advance for any help...

p.s. I'm looking to buy AF tubes to stick on with my Sigma 105mm.. i borrowed some Manual Focus ones yesterday and although I use manual focus for macro work, by using the aperture ring on the lens, i had to have it on 2.8 to be able to see anything through the lens.. ..

Anyway, thanks again!

Moey!

My only experience has been with Kenko and they were good. There are cheaper options and more expensive options - midrange seems to work for me :)

I've got a Jessops set which work ok. Like you said no optics. Make sure you get a set with the electrical connections and you should be fine.

I've got a Jessops set which work ok. Like you said no optics. Make sure you get a set with the electrical connections and you should be fine.

As RLJ say make sure whatever make you go for, that they have electrical connections to allow the camera to communicate the lens for bot f stops and focusing etc.

I guess the cheaper ones are just the hollow tube variety.

I have a set of Polaroid branded auto focus tubes. They feel solid and click together nicely. Plastic body with metal mounts.
I do also have a basic set (manual) and having the auto aperture control makes it so much easier. I will try stacking them all together one day, but will need some good light to pull it off :)

I have a set of Polaroid branded auto focus tubes. They feel solid and click together nicely. Plastic body with metal mounts.

I have these as well and they work fine. I can't really see how more expensive ones would be any better.

Used with a 7d/60mm macro and a 5d2/100mm Macro.

Thanks everyone for your replies.. ... the Kenko ones seem to be around the £100 mark if not a little more whilst the other cheaper makes are around the £50 or £60 mark.. .. they're all AF, all with the electrical contacts... I was thinking the same as Stuart, about the expensive ones and in what way could they be better?
I have borrowed some manual plastic ones of a mate and have found that apart from the obvious issue of no AF, there seems to be a slight movement in the tubes when they are on the camera body.. .. ..

If anyone else has any on a Nikon body, i'll be interested to know.. ..

Thanks once again!!

Moey!

the Kenkos are better than some of the cheaper ones i have seen in that on the inside of the tube there is an inner tube (not like on a bike tyre :bonk:) that has a matte finish to help limit reflections etc. Some of the cheap tubes have nothing inside & you can see the shiny electrical contacts etc.

have a look at some pics of the cheaper ones on ebay to see (y)

Adam, thanks very much for that info, if it means there is an improvement in any way for the extra price, then I'd be more inclined to go for them... ... greatly appreciated.. .. Terry, thanks very much too, i'm in the same boat as you were, so looks like i'll be heading towards the Kenko ones.. .. ..

Thanks again!
Moey!

the Kenkos are better than some of the cheaper ones i have seen in that on the inside of the tube there is an inner tube (not like on a bike tyre :bonk:) that has a matte finish to help limit reflections etc. Some of the cheap tubes have nothing inside & you can see the shiny electrical contacts etc.

have a look at some pics of the cheaper ones on ebay to see (y)

I can confirm the Polaroid tubes have nothing like an inner tube inside and the metal for the contacts can be seen along the length of the tube by looking into it. I haven't noticed any adverse effect from this but if the kenko tubes have an inner 'shield' then that goes at least some way to explaining why they cost more.

Back