Which Memory Card?

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly, allow to me apologies for keep asking questions. I've now ordered a camera, a Nikon D7000, please could I have a little advice on which memory card I need?
If it helps, I'll be shooting a mixture of Fine Jpeg and RAW...

As a cheaper option Integral do SD cards which are every bit as good and the same spec as the SanDisk extreme pro 95mbs cards for a lot less money.

They come in 64,128 & 256gb sizes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-HD-Video-Premium-Memory-Integral/dp/B07FB7NQF7

It has a very slow write speed.

The card I linked above is double the capacity and much faster and cheaper.

If you must buy a SanDisk card better to get the extreme “pro” versions the standard extreme version aren’t as good.

Sorry Tommy, I posted the Argos link before checking if anyone had replied. That's a very good price for the Integral, £10.99 for 64 GB, you're a star :)

PS: Regarding slow speed. From what I've just read/understand, 95MB/s is twice as fast as the D7000 can write. I hope that's right!

Last edited:
The headline speed is always the 'read' speed.

So FWIW
That Integral is read 95/write 50
The SanDisk I posted is read 170/write95

Last edited:
The integral cards I have are 100mb read and write. I maybe linked the wrong version.

D7000 can only write at 45mbs maximum anyway.

These are the cards I amusing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/128GB-Ultra-HD-Premium-Memory-Integral/dp/B0845GZ48K/

Ah! the devil in the details ;) that one is certainly good value for a 128GB card but the spec, which is nice and high, is stated as "For when you want to push your device to its limits with up to 180MB/s read 130MB/s write " so in excess of 100mb either direction ;)

As for write speed of camera vs card write speed..................I have like to have some "overhead" in the storage side i.e. the max write speed of the card should be faster than the camera can write, this should mitigate for any potential bottleneck(s) in either continued writing when the body buffer hits its capacity (saving still images) or the transfer data rate of video reaches the limit of the card write speed???

PS if looked after the SD cards may outlast how long @Haldir keeps the D7000 and reading that the D7100(for example) has a higher body write speed.................having what seem like overspec'ed cards now will not necessarily be so in future???

Last edited:
In case you fancy a Lexar card.........

I had reason to contact Lexar support the other day as my 1000x 64GB SD card had come apart and lost it's write protect tab.

These cards have a lifetime warranty.

After a few emails back and forth because I hadn't kept the receipt and couldn't remember where I bought it the warranty wasn't honoured.

So, either don't buy Lexar or keep your receipt for the card.

I tend to use MyMemory for media cards (I'm a bit dubious about ebay or 3rd party sellers on Amazon for things that are often faked, especially as Amazon can share inventory between different 3rd party dealers). They have a 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 for £17.95:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/sandisk-64gb-extreme-pro-v30-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-u3-170mb-s.html

As well as the speed in the camera, faster cards can also get the data on to your computer more quickly if you have a decent card reader.

Last edited:
I tend to use MyMemory for media cards (I'm a bit dubious about ebay or 3rd party sellers on Amazon for things that are often faked, especially as Amazon can share inventory between different 3rd party dealers). They have a 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 for £17.95:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/sandisk-64gb-extreme-pro-v30-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-u3-170mb-s.html

FWIW
on amazon I will only ever buy "from Amazon" yes, I have heard of the story about them mixing inventory/ies but cannot get my head around how that would work in the real world of their logistics & accounting especially as there is a history (as you say) of, in general, some 3rd party sellers either deliberately or inadvertently selling faked goods??? i.e. why would Amazon risk reputational damage by selling under their name what turn out to be fakes!

FWIW
on amazon I will only ever buy "from Amazon" yes, I have heard of the story about them mixing inventory/ies but cannot get my head around how that would work in the real world of their logistics & accounting especially as there is a history (as you say) of, in general, some 3rd party sellers either deliberately or inadvertently selling faked goods??? i.e. why would Amazon risk reputational damage by selling under their name what turn out to be fakes!

They just use the manufacturer's barcodes if the sellers allow commingling:

https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/external/G200141480?language=en_GB

And yes, this does mean bad apples can contaminate the whole barrel. I guess they are just too big to care about minor reputational damage. I don't think Amazon says anything explicit about their own stock, but there are also reports of fake goods turning up in 'sold and fulfilled by Amazon' 'Dispatched from and sold by Amazon' purchases, suggesting deliberate or accidental commingling. I'd probably trust some third party sellers (e.g. known camera shops who also sell on Amazon) ahead of Amazon itself for certain items - those that ship directly to the buyer won't be subject to commingling.

[Edited to fix error]

Last edited:
This website is useful for comparing memory card speeds on various cameras. They don’t have the D7000 but have the D7100 which is probably a bit faster.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d7100/fastest-sd-card-tests/

I’d suggest Sandisk extreme pro 95MB/S cards. They are pretty cheap for a 32GB or 64GB card. A couple of those would set you up well. My usual place to get them is amazon. As long as you buy from amazon and not a market place seller you should get a genuine card.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ex...586793888&sprefix=sandisk+&sr=8-12&th=1&psc=1

They just use the manufacturer's barcodes if the sellers allow commingling:

https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/external/G200141480?language=en_GB

And yes, this does mean bad apples can contaminate the whole barrel. I guess they are just too big to care about minor reputational damage. I don't think Amazon says anything explicit about their own stock, but there are also reports of fake goods turning up in 'sold and fulfilled by Amazon' purchases, suggesting deliberate or accidental commingling. I'd probably trust some third party sellers (e.g. known camera shops who also sell on Amazon) ahead of Amazon itself for certain items - those that ship directly to the buyer won't be subject to commingling.
‘Fulfilled by Amazon’ just means it’s a market place sellers stock stored in an amazon warehouse and amazon will ship it. I don’t touch them as it doesn’t mean they have been sourced from a genuine supplier as they weren’t sourced by amazon. Amazons own stock should be sourced directly from a supplier. I’m not sure if they store the stock separately but I’d hope they do.

SanDisk provide a list of their approved suppliers. I’d only buy from a company on that list.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/distributors

‘Fulfilled by Amazon’ just means it’s a market place sellers stock stored in an amazon warehouse and amazon will ship it. I don’t touch them as it doesn’t mean they have been sourced from a genuine supplier as they weren’t sourced by amazon. Amazons own stock should be sourced directly from a supplier. I’m not sure if they store the stock separately but I’d hope they do.

SanDisk provide a list of their approved suppliers. I’d only buy from a company on that list.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/distributors

Sorry, I've added to the confusion. I know that 'Fulfilled by Amazon' on its own means they are just responsible for distribution, not sourcing. The correct wording for items they source and sell is 'Dispatched from and sold by Amazon' (now corrected above). Clearly there's a risk of commingled items that are merely 'Fulfilled by Amazon' being fake if any of the ''Fulfilled by Amazon' sellers are providing fakes, so you can't rely on the reputation of an individual seller. But my other point was that fakes have also turned up when people have ordered items that are ''Dispatched from and sold by Amazon'. So either Amazon has some dubious suppliers, or it has accidentally mixed up its stock with third party sellers who are providing fakes, or it is deliberately commingling its own stock with that of third part suppliers (as it does between third party suppliers).

Toshiba (now known as Kioxia) or Samsung here - only use SanDisk if there's a war on and real ones aren't available... (Also had a number of bad bad experiences with SanDisk when SD was a new thing, in the 64-128 megabyte range)

Toshiba (now known as Kioxia) or Samsung here - only use SanDisk if there's a war on and real ones aren't available... (Also had a number of bad bad experiences with SanDisk when SD was a new thing, in the 64-128 megabyte range)

I have also had quite a few issues with SanDisk cards they do replace them when they fail although it takes a bit of time.

I now use Integral and Sony cards.

Last edited:
Ok but the one linked to by @f2.8 in post #3 is higher spec for a tad less money plus it is "sold by & delivery by" Amazon, compared to a seller merchant sale & delivery that you found!

But whatever you get, enjoy your (new to you) camera and I look forward to seeing your pictures in any of the fora:)

That's me not paying attention again and thinking that was the one f/2.8 had linked, I have far too many tabs open in my browser...
Can't wait to the camera now, although I need to get a lens ordered asap. Been looking at the Nikon 35mm F1.8G DX to start, or a 50mm F1.8 AF-S, but that's an FX lens I believe...
Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to get the 70-300!

Last edited:
It has a very slow write speed.

The card I linked above is double the capacity and much faster and cheaper.

If you must buy a SanDisk card better to get the extreme “pro” versions the standard extreme version aren’t as good.

the d7000 doesn't have a big buffer so im sure the 90mb s will be fast enough
it was fast enough when i had a d7000

the d7000 doesn't have a big buffer so im sure the 90mb s will be fast enough
it was fast enough when i had a d7000

That card was 90mbs read not write. It has a very slow write speed.

The D7000 can write to a card at 45mbs that card is rated for around 25mbs in a D7000.

The card actually has a higher write speed than that but different cards perform differently in different cameras for example I have cards for my A9II that can write at 299mbs and the A9II can write to a card at 250mbs but using that card in the A9II results in a write speed of 184.5 mbs.

There is a lot more to sd cards than advertised speed.

Last edited:
still fast enough for most of us

The buffer in the D7000 is already not great no point making it any worse.

A lot of people don’t understand how a memory card works in a camera so you are not on your own.

It always surprises me for example that most people don’t even understand the V30,V60, V90 etc. rating.

This is more important than read/write speed when it comes to a card in a camera.

its still fast enough for most of us
don't think op would have bought a d7000 if he wanted the buffer of my d500
so its fast enough

its still fast enough for most of us
don't think op would have bought a d7000 if he wanted the buffer of my d500
so its fast enough

removed comment

The o.p has already explained in other threads why he chose a D7000.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes it's absolutely fine. I'm still using 2 old 16GB Sandisk Ultra 30MBps cards in my D600. When I shoot gigs, I may do several shots in quick succession; there have been a few occasions when things slow down (it's either the buffer or the cards) a bit and I have to pause, but that generally doesn't affect me doing that type of work. I still manage to get the shots I want. And I shoot RAW + JPEG Fine (one type to each card). Obvs if you want to shoot sports/fast action, at max fups, such a combo isn't 'ideal', and there will be people who will tell you you HAVE to have at least a Nikon D5 and the very fastest XQD/CFE cards. Even for shooting landscapes. But you know about such types now... ;)

TBH I could do with some new cards, for larger capacity if nothing else. I've had to use my 'emergency' card a few times.

I've now ordered a camera, a Nikon D7000

So you didn't go with a D610 or D750 in the end then, Haldir? D7000 is a cracking cam; enjoy!

The buffer in the D7000 is already not great no point making it any worse.

A lot of people don’t understand how a memory card works in a camera so you are not on your own.

It always surprises me for example that most people don’t even understand the V30,V60, V90 etc. rating.

This is more important than read/write speed when it comes to a card in a camera.

I've never worried about memory cards. I just buy the cheapest make on Amazon that I've heard of and it works for me as I'm a single picture at a time guy so write speeds are next to irrelevant for me but having read your post I'm now off to read about Vxx ratings. Thanks for that.

tidied up a bit. Keep it on topic folks. :)

Reactions: AZ6
Back on track

@Haldir the Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX was the sharpest lens I'd ever had at the time, and gives a field of view close to a 50mm and what's basically close to how we see things ourselves. Its a great lens and one I had great fun & photos from :)

Dave

Personally, having had 2 copies of that lens, I'd give it a miss. The first was truly terrible, and the second was inferior to any of my 50mm lenses (albeit shot on a different camera, but a test using it on my FX cam in full frame showed it to not be great anyway). I'd avoid it. The D7000 has the AF drive motor, which allows the use of older AF lenses, often referred to as 'AF-D' (although this is a bit misleading cos standard older 'AF' Nikkors work fine too). The 35mm F2 AF/D is an excellent lens, and can be had s/h for around what a new DX version would cost. Of course the current 35mm f1.8 G FX version is really good, but a good bit pricier. For a nice 'portrait' lens for the D7000, also consider the older 50mm f1.8D. That is an excellent lens. Slightly longer, a bit shallower in depth of field, so a bit nicer for portraiture. You could probably find one for £60-70.

So you didn't go with a D610 or D750 in the end then, Haldir? D7000 is a cracking cam; enjoy!

Sadly I just couldn't get the money together after taking the hit on my pension. I've spent hours everyday going through all the second hand equipment and options.
I found a D5600 with kit lens for £295.00 that looked in very nice condition from the images and was within budget. Turns out that was sold anyway. After thinking
about my last camera, the D90, I reckon the D7000 will be a decent enough upgrade and I get the impression it's well made. I know I could have bought something
more advanced but well used, but I reckon the technology would be lost on me and I'd rather just have a nice camera in good condition so I can get on take a few piccies.
Our lass told me over the weekend, the spotting scope I bought her last month apparently has a Nikon mount in the box. Not sure if she was thinking ahead,
and I didn't take the time to read the details, I just pressed buy now knowing she was happy. Anyway, never used a camera on a scope before so that could get some
interesting results...

Sadly I just couldn't get the money together after taking the hit on my pension. I've spent hours everyday going through all the second hand equipment and options.
I found a D5600 with kit lens for £295.00 that looked in very nice condition from the images and was within budget. Turns out that was sold anyway. After thinking
about my last camera, the D90, I reckon the D7000 will be a decent enough upgrade and I get the impression it's well made. I know I could have bought something
more advanced but well used, but I reckon the technology would be lost on me and I'd rather just have a nice camera in good condition so I can get on take a few piccies.
Our lass told me over the weekend, the spotting scope I bought her last month apparently has a Nikon mount in the box. Not sure if she was thinking ahead,
and I didn't take the time to read the details, I just pressed buy now knowing she was happy. Anyway, never used a camera on a scope before so that could get some
interesting results...

Excellent. Don't worry; the D7000 is a great camera, and much more versatile than a D5600, due mainly to that AF drive motor. And you can use older manual focus lenses too! For wide angle stuff, landscapes and that, AF isn't as important. Soem of the MF lenses are fantastic quality, and can be had for a lot less than AF equivalents. Wide angle is going to be a bit trickier with the DX sensor; you're looking at 16mm just to get a 24mm FX equivalent. Lots of WA zooms around though, like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokina-A...577242?hash=item23d4a71d9a:g:2e4AAOSw2MVei6h6

I have one of those, which is no longer required... ;)

Back