Which Memory Cards?

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
So I've just taken delivery of my new D500. I won't be shooting video but can anticipate the occasional short burst whilst panning for a bif or animal moving. I would not expect to be shooting a thousand images a day or such, more like a couple of hundred max (at least in the foreseeable future). So can anyone suggest the most appropriate and best XQD and SD cards to buy for the new toy to consume please?

I'm using 32GB Sony XQD R=440 MB/s W=400MB/s with back up to 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD 300MB/s, seem to work well with no buffering issues. I'm getting a capacity of around 640 lossless compressed RAW.

EDIT: Meant to add if I put a slower Sandisk 95MB/s SD card in the second slot there is a really noticeable drop in buffer capacity.

GC

Last edited:
That's really helpful, thanks GC
(and that's a nice array of kit you have there!)

I just have a 16gb class 10 SD card and it has been fine for my shooting. Will easily cope with 20-30 shots and I havn't needed to try more. I wont be paying the rip off prices for XQD anytime soon, I have no need for it.

Noted Dave, thanks. I guess having saved loads by buying from e-infinity, I'm prepared to pay for the resilience, but I have compromised: I just went to my nearest camera shop and bought GC's recommended XQD card (£99) and a compromise SD card - Lexar 64Gb 150Mb/sec as it was the only UHS-II card they had in stock ((£55). I know I could have bought a better SD card and got both cheaper online, but I wanted to put the business to the shop where I couldn't bring myself to pay over £500 more for the camera by doing so. I suspect I will eventually change the SD card for a faster one - we'll see - it can always go into a different camera at a later date.

Agreed, it's a bit sneaky, as I nearly fell foul of that.

It you want the fastest SD cards then you need to be looking really at something like the Sony G UHS II (read 300Mb/s, Write 299Mb/s) or the Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS_II (Read 300 MB/S, Write 260 MB/s). Neither of these cards are cheap.

sandisk 300mb/s brilliant for max performance
xqd 210mb/s which is 1400x the mutts nuts
pointless buying the top end dx and not being able to use its 10fps without buffering
you don't have to have a sd card to get the fastest performance your xqd card will suffice

Back