Which metering mode

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Since getting my first DSLR 18months ago I haven't changed the metering mode from evaluative as I understand that this, on average, gives the 'right' exposure in most situations.
Since getting my 50mm I've started using only the centre AF point and then recomposing, with the vast majority of my shots being portraits, and the vast majority of my portraits being of my daughter!
I'm now wondering whether it would be better to move to partial metering or centre-weighted (my camera doesn't have spot metering) to ensure that the subject's face (where I'm focusing) is what is metered. I see a lot of good natural light portraits online where the background are very bright in order to get the face well-exposed - and I like this style as it's nice and 'airy' feeling.

Anyone have any advice? (other than get out with the camera and try it, which is great advice but I'm stuck at work at the moment whilst musing this subject)

Centre weighted average is old fashioned metering pattern that pre dates evaluative. I don't think it offers any advantages over evaluative.

The "airy" style could also be acheived by the photograher using exposure compensation; if you have a backlit subject, you should consider using positive exposure comensation to ensure that the main subject is properly exposed.

Or maybe buying an handheld light meter,ive still got one.

Then you can have a go at metering from the light falling on the subject :)

Centre weighted average is old fashioned metering pattern that pre dates evaluative. I don't think it offers any advantages over evaluative.

The "airy" style could also be acheived by the photograher using exposure compensation; if you have a backlit subject, you should consider using positive exposure comensation to ensure that the main subject is properly exposed.

Wouldn't partial metering, metered only on the main subject, have the same effect?

Or maybe buying an handheld light meter,ive still got one.

Then you can have a go at metering from the light falling on the subject :)

I'm sure it would help with the metering but I'm not sure how it would work when chasing a toddler round the house/garden :LOL:

Banana, I think your right with your interpretation (I'm not the most knowledgeable about metering modes) but your post corresponds to what I would expect to happen when exposing for the subject (If for example they are in shade with a bright background then evaluative will try to expose for both which will probably make the face too dull (this is the purpose of fill flash as it allows you to expose everything at the same brightness). Spot or partial should expose for the face and ignore the background. I'm not sure about cwa but it's probably somewhere in between evaluative and partial

Last edited:
Banana, I think your right with your interpretation (I'm not the most knowledgeable about metering modes) but your post corresponds to what I would expect to happen when exposing for the subject (If for example they are in shade with a bright background then evaluative will try to expose for both which will probably make the face too dull (this is the purpose of fill flash as it allows you to expose everything at the same brightness). Spot or partial should expose for the face and ignore the background. I'm not sure about cwa but it's probably somewhere in between evaluative and centre weighted

On a Canon, centre weighted is centre weighted average

On an EOS 7d, the metering pattern options are

Evaluative
Partial
Spot and
Centre Weighted Average, which some people refer to as Centre Weighted

Last edited:
Oops, just realised my mistake after Mortimer mentioned it. I meant that centre weighted will probably meter somewhere between partial and evaluative

Back