Which MFT?

Edit My Images
No
I like the idea of having a MFT as a general purpose camera to take with me, rather then taking my D3/D700 with big lenses.

I have already got the Panasonic Lumix GF3 with standard kit lens and the Lumix 14mm f2.5 pancake lens that my wife gave to me.

The first thing is I don't like the GF3 body due to lack of control and abit too small. I like Fuji stuff but they are abit expensive and I will need to buy fuji x mounted lens too. I was thinking if I stay with MFT system I can keep the 14mm and my MFT to nikon adapter for my nikon MF lenses.

The price for the Lumix DMC GX7 and the Olympus OMD EM10 is quite attractive. What's the pro and cons of the two? I don't know much about MFT system. I quite like the look of the olympus tho.

Last edited:
Both are great, I went with the Olympus though, I generally prefer Olympus output and it has in body video stabilisation, GX7 only has image stabilisation for stills. Other than that they are very similar spec wise... I think the GX7 has 1/8000 vs 1/4000 EM10.

Try handle both if you can.... Id personally go with Fuji over both. There are older models and used newer models to consider.

What do you shoot?

Last edited:
For value, a second-hand EM5 Mk1 with a third party (non-battery) grip for comfort is hard to beat. The E-M1 is the one to have if you can stretch that far, though. Better ergonomics, viewfinder & focus tracking.

The EM10 is only £415 with the EZ lens at the moment (cashback of £75), its a better buy/camera than an EM5 imo.

The type of shoot I will be taking with the MFT would be general family photo and street photo when we go on holiday. Taking my D3/D700 with the 28-70 f2.8 is not an other sometimes due to weight. I still prefer my nikon FF but compact suits the situation sometimes.

I like fuji and I been looking at X100 but I can't change lens, the X pro 1 and XE1 require investment on fuji lens.

MFT system I can use all my MF nikon primes like the 28mm, 135mm etc.

The EM5 Mk1 looks good but is abit big right? It looks like the size is similar to my old film Nikkomat camera. If is similar I think I can stretch to that budget. I guess my lumix pancake lens will work?

Last edited:
The EM10 is only £415 with the EZ lens at the moment (cashback of £75), its a better buy/camera than an EM5 imo.

There's not much in it though. The EM10 is smaller (too small for me), has wifi & 3 axis stabilisation. The EM5 is bigger - though still needs a grip for larger lenses - has no wifi but does have 5 axis stabilisation & better weather sealing.

IF the EM5 is big and bigger with the grip then I might as well use my D700 without grip?

There's not much in it though. The EM10 is smaller (too small for me), has wifi & 3 axis stabilisation. The EM5 is bigger - though still needs a grip for larger lenses - has no wifi but does have 5 axis stabilisation & better weather sealing.

The EM10 is smaller but is more comfortable than the EM5 IME, somehow felt less cramped. It has better ISO, better AF, better LCD, built in flash, wifi and a larger viewfinder. 3 Axis isnt far off 5 Axis from what Ive seen. Depends on if he requires sealing or not. Overall though taking all of that into account and the fact that the EM10 is new for such a low price I dont see much point in the EM5.

Compact with decent quality on high iso shooting is the key for me. If the size is too big I might as well shoot with my nikon system ......

Compact with decent quality on high iso shooting is the key for me. If the size is too big I might as well shoot with my nikon system ......

For your budget, Ill assume the £450 mark I think you have your only option (M43), perhaps an A6000 is worth considering, superb camera with APSC sensor, adapters are cheap. A6000 is currently similar in price with kit lens to the EM10. Remember though, as the sensor gets bigger so do the native lenses.

Last edited:
btw, with Fuji you can also use your old Nikon lenses. That applies to pretty much all mirrorless camera brands. They all take adapters. I think you need to think about the native lenses you want and a budget for those.

Consider the price of the Fuji XE1, i could potentially buy the x mount to nikon adapter and use y MF lens?

Coming from a DSLR user, I don't fancy sony for some reason. Nothing against them but I feel the controls on the Fuji is more familiar.

Coming from a DSLR user, I don't fancy sony for some reason. Nothing against them but I feel the controls on the Fuji is more familiar.

The Sony is actually more DSLR like than the Fuji in terms of controls. Menus are better to.

I have a GX7 an my only complaint really is the EVF which IMVHO is awful.

Some people see a rainbow effect but I don't think that's my issue, I just see a slightly mushy image and to be honest it puts me off using the camera and I'd advise anyone considering this camera to take a look at the EVF before buying as IMVHO it ruins the camera and I actually prefer the EVF of my ancient Panasonic G1. The GF7's EVF is better in very low light though as the G1's just goes black and displays nothing.

How about a G7? It lacks the GX7's 1/8000 mechanical shutter but it does have a fast electronic shutter (it's into the thousands but I can't remember the exact number...) and it also lacks the GX7's IBIS.

Try handle both if you can.... Id personally go with Fuji over both. There are older models and used newer models to consider.

I've had more than a passing interest In the Fuji's but what puts me off is the size of the system compared to MFT, Fuji is usually bigger, and the limited maximum raw ISO. At least my GX7 will shoot raw at 25,600 and gives (IMHO) reasonable results up to and including the max but with the Fuji's you're limited to JPEG long before that.

I've had more than a passing interest In the Fuji's but what puts me off is the size of the system compared to MFT, Fuji is usually bigger, and the limited maximum raw ISO. At least my GX7 will shoot raw at 25,600 and gives (IMHO) reasonable results up to and including the max but with the Fuji's you're limited to JPEG long before that.

Im not that fussed by the size, for me the size is about perfect for a small camera for it to still remain comfortable, the lenses are also superb. Sensor does need updating though, better base/high ISO and 20MP-24MP would be welcome.

The price of Fuji X Pro 1 and XE 1is so cheap used. Shops even does a bundle deal for X Pro 1 plus 2 prime for £600 ish.

I just need 1 prime to behonest, maybe X100s is a option?

The price of Fuji X Pro 1 and XE 1is so cheap used. Shops even does a bundle deal for X Pro 1 plus 2 prime for £600 ish.

I just need 1 prime to behonest, maybe X100s is a option?

X100s is excellent if you dont need to change lenses. Then theres also the Fuji X100 conversion lenses.

Im not that fussed by the size, for me the size is about perfect for a small camera for it to still remain comfortable, the lenses are also superb. Sensor does need updating though, better base/high ISO and 20MP-24MP would be welcome.

I'm straying off topic here but you may have spotted that I've had a look at the Fuji's more than once but for me it's a piggy in the middle as it can't match either the ultimate image quality of the Sony A7 series or the compactness of MFT. I do think that the Fuji will make a good replacement for a DSLR for anyone wanting a reduction in bulk and weight or even a good partner for a DSLR but for me it doesn't quite replace any of my cameras, A7 for quality, MFT for compactness.

I'm straying off topic here but you may have spotted that I've had a look at the Fuji's more than once but for me it's a piggy in the middle as it can't match either the ultimate image quality of the Sony A7 series or the compactness of MFT. I do think that the Fuji will make a good replacement for a DSLR for anyone wanting a reduction in bulk and weight or even a good partner for a DSLR but for me it doesn't quite replace any of my cameras, A7 for quality, MFT for compactness.

I think thats exactly it for me, it wouldnt replace my DSLR and ime its a step up (for my use) over M43, so its neither of the extremes in terms of size or quality, its the middleman.

Have you considered the Panasonic G6? It's the mini DSLR shape for M43. Good viewfinder (better than the GX7), good grip, decent specs (not too dissimilar to the GX7 in terms of performance). Only negative is the older sensor, it's basically an uprated GH2 sensor, giving the full 16mp but using the modern image processor in the GX7.

They go for about £200 second hand these days, and Curry's were getting rid of them for about £270 with the 14-42mm mk2 lens.

Another option could be a Fuji X30 or Panasonic LX100 or similar type camera as a walkabout/family type camera. Chuck it in your pocket and no messing with changing lenses etc......

Must say though, the XPro1 is a very good price with the two lens option when buying new. I think the JPEG files are a little more pleasing than the newer XT1.

I'd handle all the ones you've listed as potentials. I was in the same position as you (FF gear but wanted a compact system for out and about) and has short listed the cheaper Fujis as the ones to go for.

I popped into Park Cameras and immediately hated the handling of the Fujis. To me they just felt hollow and plastic. I've no doubt that further up the range things improve as you would expect but as soon as I tried the Panny G6 everything just felt right and all the controls seemed to fall easily to hand. I was so impressed with the MFT system that I now have an E-M1 and a few choice lenses.

I was coming from a D800e so you may feel similarly - or not ;)

I've recently moved over to M43 from a Nikon D90. Before making the move over I checked various reviews, specs etc and was almost certain that I would be walking out with a Sony a6000 but I (eventually) ended up with the Olympus E-M10 and it's great.
It has more direct control than the Sony, looks & feels great and the lenses are generally a lot smaller than most other comparable systems (the main reason for me changing). Do I regret my decision? Not for a moment.

The Olympus E-M10 certainly looks attractive. Very small but lots of direct controls. Will also save me some money on lenses as well sine is M43 mount. I will need to go into the shop to play around.

Back