Beginner Which mirrorless to go for? Fuji X-T1 or Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Which Camera?

• Total voters
Name
My name is Nigel, Dangrous is my middle name.
Edit My Images
No
I know I have put this in the beginners section, in truth, I feel like I am.
I have no working experience with Fuji or Olympus so I'm coming in at this on the ground floor.
Ok, a bit of background... I shoot a Canon 1Ds MkIII. I love it, it's staying but I now want a smaller option for holidays and just out and about.
The last holiday I lugged my body and lenses about everywhere like Sherpa Tenzing whilst my girl swanned about with her Canon G15.

I appreciate the difference... I do! But I also appreciate that she got some decent shots as well. Certainly good enough!

This got me thinking... is there an alternative to my leviathan that will give me a decent image?

I'm not looking at printing to a particularly large scale, but I want a decent camera that will produce a high quality image.

Now, I have to say at this point, I have not been keeping up with current trends, I got my canon, my lenses then stopped paying attention. I do not intend to change it until it can't be fixed any more. Not that it has needed fixing.

So I jump into what is vogue and trawl YouTube... love DigitalRev and the Camera Store TV guys.

The point I’m taking so long to make is I'm looking for a lighter camera, it doesn't have to fit in my pocket, I'll be happy with it hanging off a strap or in a bag, it just doesn't want to be commanding the whole bag and half of the pack horse.

I started by looking at the Fuji X100T, I like the idea of the 23mm fixed lens, testing after the Canon. but I’m thinking that could be a regret down the line. Tell me if I’m wrong.

So, I have narrowed it down to two, the Fuji X-T1 and the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II.

They appear similar with gimmicks to suit and both seem to produce quality images.

I will shoot a landscape if I absolutely have to, (when I’m told to) but I’m a people and street photographer at heart. These two cameras look like they would both suit street and people photography well.

The Fuji looks so sexy, I love the retro look and think that is definitely where I’m going, has to be in silver as well.
But... the Olympus is (as I understand it) a better camera.

Sexy or Better? Is the Sexy Fuji good enough that I’ll never notice the difference?

I do not need a camera that has night vision, I have coped without 51,000iso to date without worrying. Equally the Hi-Def option that the Olly offers will be fielded by the Canon. I shan’t be carrying a tripod with me! Less kit!!! That’s the plan.

I have looked so much everything has become blurred...

Simply put, which camera is better?
Which one should I go for?
I have no experience with Fuji or Olympus, my pedigree is Pentax, Mamiya and Canon.

I can read all the specs, I can look at the statistics, I just want a bit of basic user chat about which one you went for, why, are you happy with it or do you keep looking at the other one thinking it could have been her.

Shees... I talk some tosh!

Anyway... the Fuji or the Olympus?

Nige

I am biased towards the Fuji. I went from Nikons to Fuji bodies and haven't regretted it once. I have no experience with the Olympus, but check out the XT-1 thread in talk equipment to see what the fuss is about (Also check out the Olympus thread?) There is a firmware update this month for the XT-1 which is hopefully going to improve AF. Can't see me wanting another camera body for some time to come.

By the way Nigel, I take it you are a (big) Pratchett fan?

I switched from Canon to Fuji, flirted with Olympus and then decided to stay with Fuji. Both Fuji and Olympus can produce great images and have excellent lenses. The decider for me was simple ergonomics - I couldn't get used to how the Olympus E-M5 mk1 felt in my hands while the Fujis (X-pro1 or X-E1) felt just right. I was so put off by the Olympus that I held off trying the Fuji X-T1 (as it looked so much like a E-M5). But when I did, I also fell for that too. I just prefer how the Fujis use dials rather than menus, the cameras are essentially simple and just work exactly like my old film cameras (Olympus by the way). So I would strongly recommend you try them out in the hand. The additional grips you can get can make a big difference too - I couldn't use the X-E1 without one but then didn't like the X-T1 with the big battery grip.

There's not a choice for Sony, so I'm not voting. :)

I had a XT1 and sold it - gawd knows why but thinking of getting another, had a play with Olympus EM1 and, for me, the menu system was a bit OTT,. Currently using a GX7 which is quite nice (and simple.:))

My money went for M4/3 (EM10 and EM1) as I figured that there was no point in having a small body if the lenses were big too (fuji) and that's why I went M4/3.

I bought the EM10 as a travel option to my D610 but was so impressed I have since bought an EM1, a stack load of lenses and not picked up the D610 since.

I switched from Canon to Fuji, flirted with Olympus and then decided to stay with Fuji. Both Fuji and Olympus can produce great images and have excellent lenses. The decider for me was simple ergonomics - I couldn't get used to how the Olympus E-M5 mk1 felt in my hands while the Fujis (X-pro1 or X-E1) felt just right. I was so put off by the Olympus that I held off trying the Fuji X-T1 (as it looked so much like a E-M5). But when I did, I also fell for that too. I just prefer how the Fujis use dials rather than menus, the cameras are essentially simple and just work exactly like my old film cameras (Olympus by the way). So I would strongly recommend you try them out in the hand. The additional grips you can get can make a big difference too - I couldn't use the X-E1 without one but then didn't like the X-T1 with the big battery grip.

Cheers Ian, I can see a trip to the big city is in order... I need to have a look at both.
I am still leaning towards the Fuji based on aesthetics, not a good foundation I appreciate, but an important one nonetheless.
Thank you for the advice.

Nige

I had a XT1 and sold it - gawd knows why but thinking of getting another, had a play with Olympus EM1 and, for me, the menu system was a bit OTT,. Currently using a GX7 which is quite nice (and simple.:))

Regret!!!! that is an interesting viewpoint and speaks volumes, especially if you do indeed go back to it.
from what I see, the weight of balance is tipping firmly towards the Fuji camp.

Thanks

Nige

My money went for M4/3 (EM10 and EM1) as I figured that there was no point in having a small body if the lenses were big too (fuji) and that's why I went M4/3.

I bought the EM10 as a travel option to my D610 but was so impressed I have since bought an EM1, a stack load of lenses and not picked up the D610 since.

That is an interesting point Nawty, if you have a big lens, why suffer a small body?
I have the monster with the grown up lenses and I do not think I will be replicating this with the Fuji or Olly.
I have looked at the Fuji 18-135mm and it appears similar to the Canon 24-70mm. (ish) If I had this, I may as well stick with the canon lens and just get a cheap 5D MkII
I am thinking more along the lines of just having a few smaller options, the 23mm, maybe an 18mm and perhaps a 35mm.
Anything bigger than that and i have the Canon.
I am not looking to replace or replicate, just to have a fun but quality option on Holidays and random travels.

Thank you for the input.

Nige

That is an interesting point Nawty, if you have a big lens, why suffer a small body?
I have the monster with the grown up lenses and I do not think I will be replicating this with the Fuji or Olly.
I have looked at the Fuji 18-135mm and it appears similar to the Canon 24-70mm. (ish) If I had this, I may as well stick with the canon lens and just get a cheap 5D MkII
I am thinking more along the lines of just having a few smaller options, the 23mm, maybe an 18mm and perhaps a 35mm.
Anything bigger than that and i have the Canon.
I am not looking to replace or replicate, just to have a fun but quality option on Holidays and random travels.

Thank you for the input.

Nige

In which case I would, personally, look to minimise size and go M4/3 but then I am judging this from my requirements.

Yes the Fuji is smaller than a FF setup but If the 18-135 is similar size to your 24-70 then where are you saving? For me it's borderline 'may as well take the FF' territory.

YMMV of course :)

I'm with Ned on this, I went for the Olympus over the the Fuji due to lens size, just seems silly to me to go for a "smaller system" just to go out buying bigger lenses again.

In which case I would, personally, look to minimise size and go M4/3 but then I am judging this from my requirements.

Yes the Fuji is smaller than a FF setup but If the 18-135 is similar size to your 24-70 then where are you saving? For me it's borderline 'may as well take the FF' territory.

YMMV of course :)

I'm with Ned on this, I went for the Olympus over the the Fuji due to lens size, just seems silly to me to go for a "smaller system" just to go out buying bigger lenses again.

I can see your point guys, but you are both kind of advising me to do what I have posted about.
Ned, I am not looking at getting the 18-135mm, I am looking at staying small and prime to avoid the replication.

Gary, I wasnt aware that there was a huge difference in size of comparable lenses between Fuji and Olympus. you make it sound like the Olympus is much smaller, if that's the case, it's a very interesting point i may have missed and one that could assist with making a decision.

I don't think you need the supernew features of that expensive E-M5MkII, go for an E-M10 instead : save money and definitely buy a 45mm.
unlike Canon, Olympus cameras do NOT have upgraded sensors the more you spend.

I don't think you need the supernew features of that expensive E-M5MkII, go for an E-M10 instead : save money and definitely buy a 45mm.
unlike Canon, Olympus cameras do NOT have upgraded sensors the more you spend.

Indeed, I love my EM10, moreso than my EM1.

I actually use the EM1 more but it just feels like a tool. I have a bit of an emotional connection with the EM10 as it performs way better than it should for a camera of its size and price and that emotional connection is what makes photography fun; it's a cheeky little thing and I like it for that. WHen I tried an EM5 mk2 I decided it wasn't worth the money for the upgrade (although I would have one if money were no object).

Fuji 18-55 is comparable with the OMD with kit pro zoom
Comparison here with some zooms on http://j.mp/1FMG2ey

EDIT - just noticed you can place camera by width, weight etc

Last edited:
Yep, the lenses are smaller and lighter on the Olys due to the smaller sensor they have to cover. It's all relative though, coming from a 1ds they're all gonna seem small. Best thing is to try to go and handle them, I found the em5 not very comfortable to hold compared to the xt1 (which I really liked the look and feel of, but as I say I thought the lenses were getting back to what I was trying to avoid) as I have pretty big hands, that's why I ended up with the em1 instead.

Had an em10, lasted a month before i sold it on and returned to Nikon. Sold the Nikon to fun a move thw Fuji and I'm still here.

The em10 is tiny and performs well. Just couldn't get on with it. Would be a massive downsize from a 1ds 3. Just make sure the size difference is manageable.

Yep, the lenses are smaller and lighter on the Olys due to the smaller sensor they have to cover. It's all relative though, coming from a 1ds they're all gonna seem small. Best thing is to try to go and handle them, I found the em5 not very comfortable to hold compared to the xt1 (which I really liked the look and feel of, but as I say I thought the lenses were getting back to what I was trying to avoid) as I have pretty big hands, that's why I ended up with the em1 instead.

That is interesting, it may have an impact of the final choice.
I think a road trip is certainly in order.
Derby here I come!!!

Good call, it will certainly make your mind up and the best way to make a decision.

Welcome to M4/3 :D

Absolutely, but I find i'm and the type of creature, and i doubt I stand alone on this hillock, that if I can't take a picture, buy a bit of kit, then I like to talk about taking pictures or buying bits of kit.
I am leaning heavily towards the Fuji, but a hands on is definitely needed first.

exactly the same as me. just sold all my Nikon gear since it just ended up gathering dust. the 610 is such a fantastic camera, but for my needs and level of photography size mattered above all. I enjoy photography just as much if not more, and just tooled up with some spare batteries, a grip, a prime and couple of superzooms. and not missing the NIkon.

a big downside of the EM10 is battery life. the DSLR's last for days, you cant really leave home without a spare battery on the Olympus. also the wifi built in as a remote or photo transfer (I get on really well with the app, and its great to use with an IP 6+), in camera processing, art filters (I hear you all sneer!) are great fun and useful. A really enjoyable little camera. I have never even picked up a FIJI, so cant comment, tilting screen is great too.

in summary 4x downsides to the Olympus are Battery life, overcooked menu system (100 different way to access settings, menu's etc) and the electronic viewfinder which is great, but it will never be mirror great. I'm being picky though.

Last edited:
Yeah, battery life sucks (same is true for all CSC's) although I'm coming to the conclusion/acceptance that this is because the reference point is a DSLR and it isn't fair to use the same criteria for all cameras.

Once you change your frame of reference to most other things that are battery powered then battery changing is just something you have to do.

The canon battery lasts forever, I'm on 777 for this battery and it's only showing 1/3 used.
I know the battery life will suck, but I shall just get a couple of spares.
My girl has the G15 which has nowhere near the drain of the as cameras, she just carries a couple of spares and swaps when needed.
This I do not feel is an issue to put me off..

Mirror less batteries will get better, not dslr standard but better than now. Samsung nx1 is rated to 500 shots over x-t1s 350. Although with setting up my xt1, playing with settings and generally messing about I got over 500 off my first charge

Mirrorless cameras use more battery because they have to power the sensor all the time to get an image on-screen.
Batteries are small and light though...I've had over a thousand shots out of my Olympus several times - all on one day though, more like the standard few hundred per battery if using the camera over a week or so.

The lenses on µ43 are *tiny*, I usually hold both lenses in one hand to change lenses. That's the main reason I swapped from a Pentax dslr...I can happily have 5 lenses in a small waist bag...and a spare body!

So... I have now stood in front of and briefly used both the Fuji X-T1 and the Olympus Em5 MkII.
I was impressed with both but I do think that the Olympus is just too small for me, I have huge hands.
But I was taken with the Fuji, I shall be getting that I think.
Thank you all for being so helpful.

Right... it's ordered!!!!
Monday now seems sooooo much further away.
I am a grown up! I am a father!! how can I be so impatient when it comes to waiting for toys through the post?
For those interested, I got the X-T1 in graphite, I know it seems a lot of money for just the look of the thing, but I spoke to me so I had to have it.
I also got the Fuji 18mm f2 R Fujinon Black Lens and the Fuji 35mm f1.4 R Fujinon Black Lens to get me started.
I may look to get the 18mm and the 56mm f1.2 at a later stage.

Roll on Monday.

Good choice - it has to be said that those are two of Fuji's smallest lenses you chose. If you could have waited a few more weeks you could have had an XT-10 which is like an X-T1 lite and is a few hundred quid cheaper. That's the dilemma I face as I want something a bit quicker than my X-Pro1.

Back