which model

Name
bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
I am being treated to a new camera for xmas however I am not sure which model to go for, I have a choice of the canon 6d or the new canon 7d mk11
I use my camera for portraits and also some wildlife photography can any one recommend either one or maybe a Nikon equivalent

Ok so the question should be, what limitations are you finding with your current body, and what advantages do you think a replacement body would bring to your images?

Ok so the question should be, what limitations are you finding with your current body, and what advantages do you think a replacement body would bring to your images?

maybe he just wants to upgrade because he loves camera's and wants a new toy to play with, nothing wrong with that. If photography is your hobby you should't have to justify your purchases, just buy what you want and enjoy it.

maybe he just wants to upgrade because he loves camera's and wants a new toy to play with, nothing wrong with that. If photography is your hobby you should't have to justify your purchases, just buy what you want and enjoy it.
That question isn't about justifying the upgrade it's about making a choice between the two models. Without knowing what the op wants to improve how can we know if a top a better crop of full frame camera is best.

OP to help us let us know what lenses you have as that could make a difference between the cost of the two upgrade paths. Also what sort of wildlife do you shoot are we talking macro insects or tiny birds in trees a mile away? What do you most want to improve in a body ISO performance, af, fps etc the more info you give the easier it is too decide!

Last edited:
That question isn't about justifying the upgrade it's about making a choice between the two models. Without knowing what the op wants to improve how can we know if a top a better crop of full frame camera is best.

OP to help us let us know what lenses you have as that could make a difference between the cost of the two upgrade paths. Also what sort of wildlife do you shoot are we talking macro insects or tiny birds in trees a mile away? What do you most want to improve in a body ISO performance, af, fps etc the more info you give the easier it is too decide!

fair enough, maybe I took Bykers reply the wrong way. The way I read it the OP is just asking for opinions on a couple of camera's, I don't shoot Canon but from the Nikon range have a look at the reviews for -

D610 - great entry level full frame camera, I had one for a while and the only thing I wasn't keen on was the tight spread of the AF points.
D750 - mine should arrive tomorrow, by all accounts looks like its going to be the best mixed purpose FF camera Nikon have made (D4s excluded) for a while.

Last edited:
If you did not have to much in the way of high end Canon glass I would say defiantly consider a serious look at some of the Nikons. D700 are cheap and great in low light, The D750 are even better all rounder but cost a lot more. The D610 is a great low cost option too. If your a sport nut perhaps even a used D3 is a great bit of kit of your not after mega high pixels. The D7100 is also worth a look lost of pixels, great in low light for APSC, good af, more fps them most people would ever use and because it has a small sensor you don't have to sped a earth on lenses.

Because too may times people get into the body upgrade route when they don't need to, mostly driven by consumerism. The op already has a body with some good abilities and performance so the question is completely valid, what limitations are they seeing so we can recommend the correct choice. That might not be the body, but maybe a different choice of lens, lighting, technique. How do you know without more details?

Portraits are completely different to wildlife. Full frame would be great for portraits, especially studio work, cropped with good autofocus system for wildlife, but they are completely different requirements, especially with distances to the subject, lighting etc.

After all it's the image that's produced that is important, not the kit that produces it. The right kit makes it easier, possible at times, but too many people think that they'll take better photos just by buying more expensive kit. "Great photo, must all be down to the camera..."

Last edited:
Back