Which modes on your camera do you use?

Name
Red- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Snappa
Edit My Images
No
These days modern digital SLRs have more modes and features than most of us need or understand.

Of the 13 different modes and picture style selectors on the main dial of my camera I have only used three of them. They are: Manual, Shutter Priority and Aperture priority.

Out of interest which modes do you use?

I use the custom settings as a starting point (ideal if you're losing the light / composition and you need to work quickly)

C1 - landscape - manual, f11 1/30th, mirror lockup
C2 - long exposure - manual. f11, bulb, mirror lockup
C3 - bracketing - 7 bracketed shots from -3 to +3, mirror lockup

In addition to these I use manual and occasionally aperture priority.

Most of my cameras don't have modes, just manual aperture, shutter speed and focus.

When I use a modern camera it's usually on aperture priority.

Steve.

90% Apperture
10% Shutter

These threads seem to come around every couple of years. Be interesting to see how peoples usage changes. I used to be very heavily manual biased. I think the incredibly well positioned exposure bias dial on the Fuji has moved me into apperture

Mostly manual... sometimes aperture priority.

Mostly AV, sometimes manual

Manual 100% for gigs,Club shots etc
Aperture for portraits and static band shots/promo's
Shutter/Manual when I get to do some motorsport

I would say overall manual 90%

You know this is pointless don't you? What people use will depend on what they shoot. None of this means anything.

It surprising how much manual mode is used. You also have to wonder why camera manufacturers add those picture scene mode to cameras that are aimed at serious photographers.

99% AV the other 1% just for fun or because it got switched accidentally pulling it from the bag in a hurry.

Mainly Manual but for a quick shot I use either P or Auto.
Nothing wrong with Auto, and if we were all honest it will probably get things near enough right in a higher percentage of shots than we do - but in a rather crude way perhaps.

This is especially true with recent compacts which can decide if you need macro mode or backlight compensation - or even are doing a portrait shot. :clap:

You know this is pointless don't you? What people use will depend on what they shoot. None of this means anything.

Best close the thread and set some forum rules in place banning threads that have no real meaning or effect.

Or, just let people get on with it.

...have to wonder why camera manufacturers add those picture scene mode to cameras...
Mine doesn't even come with a dial!? Can only choose between M, P, S and A... :thinking:

But since M is the setting, that leads to fewest arguments between me and camera, it's in use 100% of the time :D

You know this is pointless don't you?
And yet you posted an answer?! :LOL:

Aperture for macro and other stuff up to around 40%.
Shutter for aviation, wildlife and sports up to around 40%
Manual for everything else.

Ive got C1 set up for AV, C2 set up for TV and then just alter to suit what I'm shooting. Never used P or any of the scene modes.

Last edited:
It surprising how much manual mode is used. You also have to wonder why camera manufacturers add those picture scene mode to cameras that are aimed at serious photographers.

Those modes aren't put there for photographers, they're there for people buying cameras who have no idea how to use them.

Those buyers then either want to learn to use the camera, pick up the manual and read forums. Or they become the hoards of other users who never take decent pictures and never learn why.

The manufacturers know why they put those modes on. And it has nothing at all to do with photography, just marketing.

Depends on what I'm shooting so I suppose my answer is all of them:p

What people use will depend on what they shoot
So by your reckoning sports photographers will choose the sports auto mode, landscape photographers will select the scenic auto mode on the dial and fashion photographers will use the portrait auto mode. I should have realised that before wasting everyone's time by starting this thread, silly me.

Last edited:
Try and use manual as much as I can but need to improve as always...

I've forced myself to go 100% manual, but I'm very new to photography and still getting to grips with the basics. Seemed like the ideal way to learn.

Back