which monopod?

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
i'm looking to add a monopod to my armoury in anticipation of the coming BSB/WSB/moto GP season,plus use it for animal/nature shots,so what in your expert opinion would be the best monopod/head combination?something which will stand up to the test of time,not break the bank and was also thinking in terms of manfrotto/giotto range,but will be prepared to look at others if suitable.

i'm just under 6 feet tall if it helps.

thanks in advance

stan(y)

Hey Stan,
I use and can recommend
Manfrotto 479 Pro monopod, its about 2ft long when closed, 3section and is about 5 1/2ft tall when extended. I have aball and socket head on top.
Grrreeeaaaat.

I have a Manfrotto 685B Neotec Stan.

Is ideal for me as I suffer from the dreaded back problems. All you need to do is pull the monopod, it then extends and you can make minute adjustments by squeezing the trigger at the top. As for heads, Manfrotto make the 234 RC which is a tilt head.

Hope this helps.

Just bought a Manfrotto 680 and 234RC head myself.

I decided on the 680 because it was a good few inches shorter than the 681 and 679 when closed yet still extends plenty far enough (easily suitable for a 6ft+ person) - quite reasonable for £33. I got the 234RC (£25) head as it allows the portrait landscape flip control and has the same QR plate as my 322RC.

Not used in anger yet but no doubt will be shortly.

Just bought a Manfrotto 680 and 234RC head myself.

I decided on the 680 because it was a good few inches shorter than the 681 and 679 when closed yet still extends plenty far enough (easily suitable for a 6ft+ person) - quite reasonable for £33. I got the 234RC (£25) head as it allows the portrait landscape flip control and has the same QR plate as my 322RC.

Not used in anger yet but no doubt will be shortly.

i was looking at that combo myself TBH..morris photographic are doing it for £62.95,which is a £8 more than what you paid

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/productslist~categoryid~213~sub~Monopod+Kits~selection~16.html

where did you get yours from?

also...QR plate..i take it you mean quick release,if so,doesn't it come with the head?

I bought it in Digital Depot in Stevenage (as I was there on business this morning), just checked the receipt and the 680 was 99p more expensive than I said it was. Idon't know about the difference in delivery charges as I went in to their shop. I believe it is pretty competitive.

QR does mean quick release plate and the 234 head did come with one - so I now have a spare one (must mean it's time for a second body :D)

There is a search function on here..........(y)

I also have the Manfrotto 680B and the 234RC tilt head. Bought it from Jacobs at the Focus event on Sunday. The Monopod was £35.00 and I paid £10.00 for the head as it was a special show price instead of £24.00 if I bought them together.

thanks again simon (y)

fracster...good point :bonk:

gilly....going to london a week tomorrow(wife's hospital appointment),and theres a jacobs just across london bridge(i think that's what it's called),so i may get one there...if they're competitive enough..(y)

Sorrry Stan, that seemed a bit rude of me last night, here you go...click me,....(y)

I bought the Manfrotto Neotec 685B + 234RC head from Jacobs at Focus yesterday - It extends taller than me (6 foot) and is nice and sturdy with my 40D, Grip and 100-300 sigma lens on it.

Even better it is very easy to use since it is operated by using the trigger at the top of the pod and you pull it up towards you, rather than having to extend each section manually.

Back