Which multi-purpose everyday lens for my Canon 40D?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am after a good all round every day use lens. Just for those occassions when i take the camera out for the day but dont want to carry various lenses with me. At the moment i am using a Canon 18-55mm lens which originally came with my 400D. Its a bit 'plasticy' so i want to maybe get a lens which also has image stabilisation. Can anyone recommend a decent lens for me?

I am after a good all round every day use lens. Just for those occassions when i take the camera out for the day but dont want to carry various lenses with me. At the moment i am using a Canon 18-55mm lens which originally came with my 400D. Its a bit 'plasticy' so i want to maybe get a lens which also has image stabilisation. Can anyone recommend a decent lens for me?
I use a 28 - 135 3.5 - 5.6. At first I thought it a little on the chuncky side but I've got used to it, and I'd really like it to be a bit faster, but even a bit faster makes for a really seriously chunky lens.

So if you want to carry it round allday with out looking too much of an arse, I'd go for that.

Try 24-105mm F4 ;)

For the Canon I'd highly recommend the 24-105mm f4.5L. I have one on my 5D and I absolutely love it, it's a top quality lens and I hardly ever take it off!

Canon 24 - 70mm f/2.8.

No contest. Superb lens. End of.

But it does have flaws:
1. Its 'kin expensive
2. Its 'kin heavy
3. Its 'kin big - people think its a big (ie long) zoom
4. If you've got one, you can't hide.
5. Doesn't have IS - but its a 2.8, so IS not required

Apart from that its ace.

It really depends on your budget all three lenses posted by others here are great walkaround lenses. The 28-135 being the cheapest, the 24-105 f/4 L being almost in the middle and the 24-70 f/2.8 L being the most expensive.

1-1000mm f/0.1 L PRO IS. They are only 7.5cm's in length and use a 52mm filter thread. Pretty impressive.

Nah, If they were actually around, could you imagine. Anyway, I would go for the 24-105 f4 L. It is a great lens. Though on your 40d it may not be wide enough. So maybe the 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS? As a walkaround I wouldnt of expected a 2.8 aperture to be essential.

Personally, I'd go for the Sigma 24-70 over the Canon 24-70.
The Canon 24-70 has weather sealing and has a more solid build, but its 3 times the price of a Sigma 24-70, and the 40D doesn't have weather sealing.

The Sigma 24-70, IQ wise, is just as good as the Canon 24-70. I've read multiple reviews and even tested them myself, and I couldn't notice a difference, at all. I couldn't justify spending £700 on a lens when there is a lens for £220 thats just as good.

17-85mm IS, good lens good range good price.

A wide end at 24mm isn't really that wide on the 40D (equivalent to 38mm on a 5D)

Sigma 17-70 - an amazing lens, or if you don't quite need that much wide, the 24-70 EX version.

Sigma make some superb lenses, ideally suited to the 'everyday' use. I use a 24-70 on my 5D and I love it and have a/b'd it against lenses worth three times as much and can tell no image quality difference.

Cheers,
James

17-85mm IS, good lens good range good price.

A wide end at 24mm isn't really that wide on the 40D (equivalent to 38mm on a 5D)

I have this 18-85mm f4-5.6 IS and it stays on my camera quite a bit. I have not had any problems with it so far and it was included with my camera kit.

Only wish I had it and my 40D when I was in Europe a while back instead of my 10D.

Another vote for the Canon 28-135 IS. Great lens, great price. Works very well on a 40D
Dean:)

The Canon 24-105 f4 L is a good lens apart from bad barrel distortion at the 24 mm end. Look at the horizon through this lens at 24mm and you will curse! Its pretty good by 35mm though.

hmmm, just looking at some of my shots from last week on my 24-105 and i cannot for the life of me see any distortion at 24mm :shrug:

Another vote for the Canon 17-85mm IS. Not the fastest lens but way better than the kit lens you have. Won't break the bank either.

hmmm, just looking at some of my shots from last week on my 24-105 and i cannot for the life of me see any distortion at 24mm :shrug:

Hmmmm ... maybe mine is faulty????

The reviews I saw before I bought it said there was a little barrel distortion wide end, but I've been surprised at how much there is.:

Hmmmm ... maybe mine is faulty????

The reviews I saw before I bought it said there was a little barrel distortion wide end, but I've been surprised at how much there is.:

Never noticed it on mine before and it's hardly off the camera!

Good choice, Deano!!
If you suspect there is a problem with your lens, Jerry, send it back to Canon at Elstree, they will check it and adjust if necessary. This will be FOC if your lens is still under warranty (other than p+p of course).

I have found them to be excellent.

Just received my lens. A quality piece of kit but a bit heavier than i thought it would be. I suppose it will take some getting used to.

that's what i loved about the 24-105, it's a nice weight and balances well on the 30D :)

Back