Which Nikon body is for me?

Name
Gaz
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all. First of all, Happy New Year to all of you and I wish you all a great 2022.

I am looking to get a new body and I wondered which body would be suitable for my needs:

Capable in low light
Be able to crop into images without losing detail

I shoot a lot of horse photography and sometimes this is in low light (indoor arenas, schools, etc...), so I need something that is capable of a very good level of detail when cropping, but also a body which is capable in low light.

Thanks for your advice all.

Mirrorless is the way Nikon is going moving forward so if it was me I'd look at the Z bodies and decide which one best suits your needs. The downside with the Z stuff is the lenses are brilliant but expensive and the range is still limited. So if you're on a budget look at the D750/D810 bodies, instead.

Afternoon all. First of all, Happy New Year to all of you and I wish you all a great 2022.

I am looking to get a new body and I wondered which body would be suitable for my needs:

Capable in low light

I shoot a lot of horse photography and sometimes this is in low light (indoor arenas, schools, etc...), so I need something that is capable of a very good level of detail when cropping, but also a body which is capable in low light.

What lenses do you have?

Good evening all, thank you very much for the quick replies, appreciate that.

I have got around £3-4k to play with, so probably won't go mirrorless on this occasion.

I'd like to be able to get:

New body
70-200 or 300mm lens
150-500/600mm lens

With the budget, ideally.

I currently use Nikon and have always used Nikon which is why I would like to stay with the brand.

I currently use Nikon and have always used Nikon

Which body/bodies do you use at the moment and do you have any lenses yet?

Which body/bodies do you use at the moment and do you have any lenses yet?

Hi buddy.

I have:

D3100
D5300
Nikon 55-300mm
Nikon 50mm
Nikon 18-55mm kit
Sigma 150-500mm

Thanks.

If you decide to go Nikon mirrorless you should be able to use your Sigma via an FTZ adapter. Don’t take my word for it, check it out first.
For low light a D750 or Z6 or Z6 ii are best.
A new Z6 can be had for under £1k from e-infin. you could buy a Z6 with FTZ adapter + 24-70 F4 kit for £1539 then add a Z 70-200 2.8 for £1639 and still be in budget.
You’ll still be able to use you existing Nikon lenses via the FTZ. Just remember that although the Z6 is full frame it will automatically switch to DX if any of them are DX lenses. (I’m not familiar with your existing lenses).

Good evening all, thank you very much for the quick replies, appreciate that.

I have got around £3-4k to play with, so probably won't go mirrorless on this occasion.

I'd like to be able to get:

New body
70-200 or 300mm lens
150-500/600mm lens

With the budget, ideally.

I currently use Nikon and have always used Nikon which is why I would like to stay with the brand.
You could defo get a killer mirrorless setup with that. Especially if you buy used. Grab a Z7 reckon

Given what you have, I'd probably go for a D750 and see what lenses tempted me with whatever change I had, probably including a 70-200 f/2.8 which would give the same reach as a 300mm lens on the FF 750 would if you kept the D5300. I'd probably use the D3100 and the 2 Dx lenses as trade ins against whatever I decided to go for as the upgrade, keeping the 50mm and 150-500.

Another recommendation for 6ii
A truly great all rounder

I took the jump from DSLR to M/L after about 2 years of procrastination and indecision.
No regrets at all.
I couldn't see the sense in spending even more money on a FTZ to keep using my old lenses, so one by one I sold them off.
The Nikon Z lenses are just so good I decided to do a clean start.
I have to watch my budget but am quite happy with good used lens or grey markets. I've never had any problems with e-infinity and/or Panamoz.

Capable in low light

With a 4k budget I would definitely recommend mirrorless, for the lenses alone. Z6 or Z6ii tick the low light box but at 24mp the cropping power is not amazing. Z7 the lowlight is not so bad and it comes with a wonderful sensor which would satisfy your cropping needs. Dpreview have a good comparison on their studio shot.

Z6ii with ftz adaptor, Nikon z 70-200, sigma f mount 150-600 contemporary comes in at 4450 using panamoz and wex. Can reduce that by 580 if you go for the z6, which with the most recent firmware update is now much better than it used to be at focussing. With a 4K budget there is very little point going for dslr anymore. I see a lot of people say that the z5 is also a very capable camera so that could be an alternative too, but I am only going off hearsay on that and haven’t used one personally

I'd look at the lenses first and then choose an appropriate body/body+adapter afterwards.

Firstly sacrifice the Sigma lens, it's a 6.3 at the long end and having had one myself it is not good for enclosed spaces. Would get the Nikkor 200-500, it might only have ~1/2 stop advantage but it is a better long term options as some Nikon firmware upgrades don't agree with Sigma lenses, Used ~£800-900

If you go for a DX body then the 70-300 Nikkor G (FX) VR lens is a sharp lens and probably more versatile than a 70-200 (although a 1.4x on the 2.8 is a good option if you take the most recent version), to replace the 55-300. ~£300 for the 70-300 and ~£700-1000 for the 70-200/2.8 VR2 - used. £600 for the 70-200/4 used on MPB.

You will want a standard lens that is better than the 18-55. Options: 16-85, 16-80, 24-120/4, 17-55/2.8.

These options might bring more life to the results from your D5300 and give you more time whether to go for D750 or D850 or mirrorless.

Another recommendation for 6ii
A truly great all rounder

I took the jump from DSLR to M/L after about 2 years of procrastination and indecision.
No regrets at all.
I couldn't see the sense in spending even more money on a FTZ to keep using my old lenses, so one by one I sold them off.
The Nikon Z lenses are just so good I decided to do a clean start.
I have to watch my budget but am quite happy with good used lens or grey markets. I've never had any problems with e-infinity and/or Panamoz.
Hi Skypilot, which DSLR did you change from?

I shot equestrian for years. You need good AF-C and fast zooms. I’ve had the Z6. Not sure I’d rely on its AF performance.
D750 and 70-200 F2.8 for sure. D4 if you can afford one.
I found the D4 just great. Super low light performance and lovely image quality.

I have the D780 and love it, I have the 24-120 f4 lens, the Nikon 105mm f2.8 macro G lens and recently purchased the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 + TC 1.4ii .

My reasons for getting that gear are a bit unique as I also shoot film and have a Nikon F4, F6 and a set of the older Nikon AF-D series prime lenses (14mm through to 85mm) so getting the D780 allows me to use the primes on it too, I prefer using primes to zooms typically, I can also use the zooms on the F4 and F6 so have quite a good setup.

Back