Which Nikon DSLR?

Name
Samantha
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone, I had a Nikon D90 a few years ago and really enjoyed using it, I just used it as a hobby but did attend a college course and also did a lot of (unpaid) work for friends including a christening, parties, and my best friends wedding. I mainly enjoy nature/animal photography and had a pretty good (amateur) collection of work.
Unfortunately due to other commitments I decided to get rid of my camera and all my equipment and have regretted it since the moment it sold.
So...I'm looking to re-invest in a nice camera - it must be Nikon (I'm used to it and comfortable with it) and would preferably be the direct replacement/similar level as the D90.
It will be used only as a hobby and for my own enjoyment :)

Can anyone let me know which Nikon I should be aiming for? I've looked on the website but been away from photography for so long I can't remember much!
Thank you :)

D7200 will be the latest "D90", alternatively if you dont want to spend that much you can always look at the D7100 or the D7000 used.

As above if you have the money D7200, otherwise along the lines of D7100 or D7000 or maybe D610 great camera not expensive for what it is also full frame

So...I'm looking to re-invest in a nice camera - it must be Nikon (I'm used to it and comfortable with it) and would preferably be the direct replacement/similar level as the D90.
It will be used only as a hobby and for my own enjoyment :)

If it suited you well, then why not just start back up with another D90?

Get another D90 - fantastic camera. Much smaller than later versions and none of the focussing issues. My biggest camera regret ever has been selling mine.
It's still a terrific camera with great IQ.

Hi Samantha

I started out with a D90 - awesome camera - in fact I'm tempted to reinvest in one for my daughter (8 yrs old) as she's shown an interest!

I upgraded to a d800 (mainly because it was on special offer in 2012)

What's your budget? What lenses do you have?

I'd think about a d750 if you had the money as it ticks almost all the boxes! D700 would be a major upgrade to the d90 also.

Shaheed

Entirely budget dependant, d7000 series are well regarded and if you can invest in full frame lenses, they'll cost a little more but will save you a pain in the arse if you ever switch over to fx bodies :)

I loved my D90, then went on to a D7000 and then D610.

Definatly enjoy full frame more, and personally enjoy using the D610 over the D750 :jawdrop:

Obviously - a lot depends on your budget, lens choice etc!

I loved my D90, then went on to a D7000 and then D610.

Definatly enjoy full frame more, and personally enjoy using the D610 over the D750 :jawdrop:

Obviously - a lot depends on your budget, lens choice etc!

That's interesting. What about the 610 do you prefer. I only ask as I'm tempted by a d750!!

That's interesting. What about the 610 do you prefer. I only ask as I'm tempted by a d750!!

Well, at first I thought the D750 had a fantastic grip, felt much better in the hand, but having used the wifes for a long shoot I actually found it more and more uncomfortable! I must have odd hands as the D610 and its fat grip is more comfortable!

I don't have any need for the tilt screen and the buttons felt a bit mushy compared to the D610.

I am very much in the minority I think and before I start using my recently purchased D750 I am going to use the other halfs for a bit and see if its really what I want as I don't want to put mileage on it if I decide to sell it on and keep with the D610.

I guess the improved focussing speed and overall snappier performance is not really a big plus in my world of shooting. No doubt its a better camera than the D610, but whether its a big enough upgrade for some, I'm not sure.

Thank you so much for everyone who has taken the time to reply and advise, I appreciate it :)
The D7200 looks fab but is out of my price range at the moment - however it will be within range in a couple of years, so think I'm going to follow advice here and look for a 2nd-hand D90 with a view to upgrade in a couple of years if needed.
I got rid of all of my lenses too so starting from scratch there too unfortunately. I'm thinking of a Sigma Zoom and a 50mm prime to start off with (along with 18-105mm kit) and that should get me started :)

Thank you so much for everyone who has taken the time to reply and advise, I appreciate it :)
The D7200 looks fab but is out of my price range at the moment - however it will be within range in a couple of years, so think I'm going to follow advice here and look for a 2nd-hand D90 with a view to upgrade in a couple of years if needed.
I got rid of all of my lenses too so starting from scratch there too unfortunately. I'm thinking of a Sigma Zoom and a 50mm prime to start off with (along with 18-105mm kit) and that should get me started :)

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhan...&Order=Latest&View=Grid&Results=12&Ref=HomeSH

http://www.camerajungle.co.uk/produ...ricefrom=0&yearto=9999&yearfrom=0&keyword=d90

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...match=&plid=&gclid=ci_ktlltsmccfcpmtaodhzulkq

Back