Which Nikon lens?

EJB

Name
Ted
Edit My Images
Yes
To partner a 70mm - 300mm on a Nikon d3500.

1. Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens.

2. Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR .

The first is half the price of the second.
I am a fairly casual user mainly travels and local town events but need to replace my 18mm - 55mm kit lens.
Use the free Capture One Express.

Pondered a long time and read many reviews but just can't decide.

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Personally I’d go for the one with the constant f/4 as you’ll get more separation of your subject to the background at the long end. It will also perform better inside and darker situations

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
I went through the same decision process and went for the 24/120 and so far very pleased. Not to heavy, easy to use and some cracking shots, good sharp focus and I personally like the constant f4 throughout the range. Paired with my Sigma 150-600 gives me all the range I need.

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m with nand. Isn’t the d3500 DX?
The 24-120 will start at 36mm Fx equivalent so you won’t get any wide angle shots.
I would go for 16-80 if funds allow. (I used to own this and it was a cracking lens) If not the 18-140.

OP
E

EJB

Name
Ted
Edit My Images
Yes
Nand. I did consider the 16-80 but like the longer reach of the other two as a walk about lens on it's own.....but point certainly taken...Thank you.:)
Peter. Didn't think of that....now thinking!

Last edited:
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
I'd say none of the above, though 16-80 is the best walkabout to pair with the 70-300. I'd look for a Sigma or Tamron 17/18-55 f2.8 as having better optical quality and a nice fast max aperture for low light.

OP
E

EJB

Name
Ted
Edit My Images
Yes
Thank you one and all.
I have decided on the 18-140.
16-80 too expensive and the others give me more suitable longer reach.
24-120 lack of wide angle and price did weigh a little.
18-55 I do need the extra reach.

18-140 good reach at both ends. Price excellent.
Can attend a day long event without the 70-300.
Image quality, sharpness and low light, below the other two but good enough for me to A4.
I do shoot RAW all the time and minor post processing adjustments can produce acceptable results.

Regards:)

Last edited:
Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Ted

Everyone should have a fast Prime, 35mm or 50mm being the obvious. Either/both are cheap secondhand, and there's loads around.

Shooting RAW or not, you will get acceptable results with one of those. ;)

OP
E

EJB

Name
Ted
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks David.
I have the 18mm - 55mm kit lens which will now be redundant.
I'm not a really serious photographer but treat it as a pleasant hobby and too many lenses only get in the way.
Some of my images from the early 60s, and later, I find as viewable today as any new ones taken on really clever equipment.
I only went 'dSLR' and a proper post processing programme to see if I could 'do it'!
It's a pleasant trip so far especially on here.

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Indeed, too many lenses only get in the way. Some days I feel like selling a few (and/or buying a few!)

Some days I just want to put a different lens on and go out with a different perspective.

Ted @EJB you know where you are going and what's required (y) Maybe in a year or two you'll be changing direction. No rush. ;)

Reactions: EJB