Which one piece of kit...

As I'm retired, I have no desire to be a professional anything. But if I did, I'd want to go into a field of photography that appealed to me, and where I think that my temprament wouldn't work against me. On that basis, I'd go into landscape photography. My present photographic equipment is fully up to this, so what I'd want would be a suitable motor caravan for touring, plus the money required for insurance, servicing etc. etc.

Hmmm... i'm now wondering how to build a darkroom into a motorhome... :) Developing and scanning no problem, but wet printing....

Hard to do it on the move (unless you use tanks for souping!) but if you have power for the scanner, you could use it for the enlarger as well.

A drone that could carry me, to aid in photographing locations that are unreachable by foot or that are unsafe to be climbing around

A lack of time and money to travel to the worlds most interesting places and errr a lack of ability :)

Using Jared Polin is a bad example, as he's not a particularly good photographer. Average at best. His b&w band photos are very good, but I went through his Flickr once and most of the shots were quite poor. His interior and real estate stuff, which he used to do tutorials on, were laughably bad. But he's there to educate beginners. I don't think pros will get anything from his work.

But did he get paid for his tutorials? There is your answer.
I have been a full time pro since 1985, not for the last 6 months, but we won't go into that again....even so, I was never a 'good' photographer. I got some good shots from time to time, but why I was constantly booked was because I could be relied upon to come back with a good average and never let the editor or client down. I was also prepared to work all hours god sends, when others drew th eline at working weekends for instance...flexibility, versatility, willingness and producing reasonable results. Being a professional photographer is not actually much about being a photographer - anyone can give a good photograph away (look at flickr/facespalt et al) theONLY difference between an amater and a professional, is the pay cheque.

Back