Which one?

Edit My Images
No
Thinking of entering a national comp. The theme is night time. Have 3 Canary Wharf skylines i like......

*Ignore the borders the final wont have one*

(1)

CanaryWharfnight3light.jpg

(2)

CanaryWharfSky2finalcomp.jpg

(3)

CanaryWharfnightTPF.jpg

My personal favourite is number 1. It has the most detailed sky and the nicest reflections in the water. The only thing is can it be classed as a night time photograph. The sun had set but as you can see the sky is still quite light behind the clouds.

Number 2 has a really dramatic sky but the water is too dark for my liking.

And 3 i'm just not sure about.

Also can people tell me if the images i am posting are too dark. I am running dual monitors and there is quite a difference in how the images appear on each one.

I think I actually prefer the third one, some of the highlights in the first seem a bit blown to me and I agree about the second being a bit too dark.

They are lovely shots but are you sure they are different enough (ie lots of city skylines out there) to get you in with a chance of winning? if it's a national comp the competition will be fierce. Certainly they all fit well with the theme mind you.

I'll vote for #2, although I think it would benefit from a gamma lift to bring up the darker tones a little. The sky is dramatic, and the highlight detail is well preserved.

#3 would be better with vertical perspective correction, but the colours and highlights are not as pleasing as #2 IMO. :)

i have to agree with Silky, #2 is very good, 3 is nice, print both out and see what comes out best, you might find that 3 comes out slightly darker if you have an epson and set it to hard

silkstone said:
I'll vote for #2, although I think it would benefit from a gamma lift to bring up the darker tones a little. The sky is dramatic, and the highlight detail is well preserved.

Another vote for 2. Silky has hit the nail on the head with what he has already written.

Ok 2 it is.

How do I lift the gamma in PS?

Can lighten it in the conventional ways obviously.

No1 for me. No2 is just a bit too dark and the two lines of reflection too pronounced. No3 is very good to look at but possibly too samey for a competition.

They sky in No1 is great and makes the shot different from the norm.

As usual with PS there are several ways of lightening a section of a photo. If you have Photoshop CS you can use the shadows option which can be found Image>Adjust>shadow/highlight. Then tick the advanced box and it gives you selective control. If not then using the curves is probably the next best option for speed as long as you know what you are doing. If not there is the levels option. Image>adjust>levels and then slide the middle pointer to the left slightly will lighten your image, the problem with this is that it is not selective and will alter all of your image and not just a section.

The absolute best results will be gained by following Matt’s PS tutorial about blending two images together to get correct exposure. It should only take about five minutes to finish but will offer you complete control over all of the elements.

The tutorial can be found here

I went and got #1 printed. The guy in the print shop had a quick play in PS to make sure it would print how i wanted. I was very pleased with the end result. The blues of the sky were much more vivid. So It was that one that got sent.

Don't expect for a minute to win anything. To many little faults in the picture. Would be nice to get it published, again not expecting to. But I have to start somewhere.

Thanks for the advice :wink:

Back