Which one?

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
I am new to this whole photography thing never mind editing in CS3 so can you give me tips please
Original
100_3269.jpg

Edit
125edit.jpg

The edit is certainly sharper, but Noise has been introduced. Stumped :) I dunno how to deal with.

Hard to see a difference here, perhaps my monitor is a bit naff? Still looks like a great shot!!

Not a bad effort, on the original shot, better then my early stuff, as for editing, not really my strong point, but what have you done to it? Looks much sharper but very noisy, id suspect you have too larger radius set in the sharpening tool.

What was the original file saved as j-peg or raw?

Not a bad effort, on the original shot, better then my early stuff, as for editing, not really my strong point, but what have you done to it? Looks much sharper but very noisy, id suspect you have too larger radius set in the sharpening tool.

What was the original file saved as j-peg or raw?

Jpeg. Yes i upped that radius thing. I shall try again tomorrow as i shall be off to bed soon.

Jpeg. Yes i upped that radius thing. I shall try again tomorrow as i shall be off to bed soon.

Try using USM sharpening, keeping the radius down to 0.5, strength at 50-100, so as to sharpen, but keep noise limited.

2nd one is def better, but you should only really need to add sharpening in an emergency

:LOL: I have to sharpen all my raw files, and I believe it to be common practise? People say time and time again that a camera raw format looses its edge and normally always requires some sharpening?

Gary.

:LOL: I have to sharpen all my raw files, and I believe it to be common practise? People say time and time again that a camera raw format looses its edge and normally always requires some sharpening?

Gary.

with RAW, yes.. and my software adds sharpening (to my chosen level) when i process my RAW shots.
But what i mean is that you shouldnt need to add any additional sharpening (on top of your RAW conversion sharpening or your cameras sharpening setting) to compensate for blurring or out of focus shots unless its an emergency.

with RAW, yes.. and my software adds sharpening (to my chosen level) when i process my RAW shots.
But what i mean is that you shouldnt need to add any additional sharpening (on top of your RAW conversion sharpening or your cameras sharpening setting) to compensate for blurring or out of focus shots unless its an emergency.

Ahh sorry, I undertand.

matt, did you use a tripod for that photo?
i'm begining to think that the tripod might be hindering you on these shots rather than helping you.
if that shot was panned parallel to the bottom of the frame (which it would be on a tripod) at a low shutter speed, i'm not sure it would be sharp. You would need to pan in the same plane that the bike is travelling. In this case about 8-10 degrees from the angle the camera is panning.

I might be wrong, but its just a theory

matt, did you use a tripod for that photo?
i'm begining to think that the tripod might be hindering you on these shots rather than helping you.
if that shot was panned parallel to the bottom of the frame (which it would be on a tripod) at a low shutter speed, i'm not sure it would be sharp. You would need to pan in the same plane that the bike is travelling. In this case about 8-10 degrees from the angle the camera is panning.

I might be wrong, but its just a theory

Yup i did. For some reason when i treid shutter speed 1/60 ( i was feeling brave) they were far too bright!

Thats correct. Although it does depend on what picture format you have set your camera up for i.e faithfull applies no sharpening.

For raw, yes it must be sharpened and contrast boosted, I use a standard format in CS3 raw editor.

But if you do need to sharpen to recover like in the above shot, then Unsharp Mask (USM) set the way i noted above should give decent results.

The amount of sharpening applied in CS3 when saving with j-

Back