Which Pocket Wizards?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been using yongnuo triggers but I find it a bit of a faf when using my Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter. The meter has a module that is compatible with PW kit so i am going to go PW.

The question is what kit do I need. I have a 5D2 and a 7D which I use with 2 Bowens lights (1/4in jacks) and/or 2 Lencarta lights (3.5mm jacks).

I don’t need ttl functions as I shoot in manual mode. All I want is a PW trigger on the Camera hotshot and a receiver that will trigger one of the lights, the others will then fire using their built in I/R cell. However, the same trigger must be compatible with the PW transmitter built into the Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter :shrug:

Mark

Or you can go with Phottix Atlas triggers, cost £65 each delivered from ebay.

Just looked and they are exactly the same as the Phottix Atlas, they even have the same stand bracket (not really very surprising) which are very good. I have 3x Atlas Triggers and 2 of the brackets, they are both very good.

£60 is a great price and I certainly won't be ordering any more from Hong Kong when I can buy the cheaper here

May I refer the both of you to the experience several of us from TP had using these at Calumet, they were awful and misfired constantly. The only plus point I can see from buying either the Calumet or Interfit versions is that you can return them under the SOGA and get a refund when they fail to perform....:shake:

If it's just a triggering function you need, then the PW Plus II is your answer. I use an L358 with these, nothing to complain about!

Graham, I know what you said and I do not doubt for a second what you say (especially as its been verified by others there) but I have three of the Phottix ones and have never had a single misfire to date. Okay I grant you that mine aren't being used daily, but they are usually used once or twice a week. If I have a problem with them I will ensure that it is posted on the forum, but to date I can only speak of my own experience.

Graham, I know what you said and I do not doubt for a second what you say (especially as its been verified by others there) but I have three of the Phottix ones and have never had a single misfire to date. Okay I grant you that mine aren't being used daily, but they are usually used once or twice a week. If I have a problem with them I will ensure that it is posted on the forum, but to date I can only speak of my own experience.

I appreciate that, Eddie and tbh I've always previously sung the praises of Phottix gear, but you'd think that the one place you'd be guaranteed to see them at their best would be when they're being used as demonstration units by the importer/seller.

The annoying thing for me was that minutes earlier I had been suggesting to Stevie and Buster that they should get some as they were on offer on the day with 20% off :bang::LOL:

If it's just a triggering function you need, then the PW Plus II is your answer. I use an L358 with these, nothing to complain about!

Hi Nick, thanks for that. So do the plus II act as a transmitter and a receiver then?

I am thinking, I need a plus II on the camera hotshot as the transmitter and a second plus II connected to the studio light via a cable as the receiver/trigger. This second plus II would also then fire the lights when I transmit to it via the L358, is that correct?

Just looked and they are exactly the same as the Phottix Atlas, they even have the same stand bracket (not really very surprising) which are very good. I have 3x Atlas Triggers and 2 of the brackets, they are both very good.

£60 is a great price and I certainly won't be ordering any more from Hong Kong when I can buy the cheaper here

Sorry Ed, I thought you knew they are the same trigger, just rebranded for Interfit.

Incidentally, the rather well known incident at the Calumet launch is the only occurrence I am aware of. Reminds me somewhat of the Windows XP launch event when Mr. Gates proudly unveiled the new operating system to the world, only to see it abrupty turn its toes up and display the blue screen of death to the whole world. Classic bit of PR :LOL:

Incidentally, the rather well known incident at the Calumet launch is the only occurrence I am aware of. Reminds me somewhat of the Windows XP launch event when Mr. Gates proudly unveiled the new operating system to the world, only to see it abrupty turn its toes up and display the blue screen of death to the whole world. Classic bit of PR

ditto.

if you are completely happy with your rf602 triggers, and just want the all in one benefit with your sekonic meter - just get one of the phottix pocket wizard triggers, and sit a spare rf602 trigger on its hot shoe. It's what I do when shooting in a studio with (eg) profoto air system triggers, works fine.

if you are completely happy with your rf602 triggers, and just want the all in one benefit with your sekonic meter - just get one of the phottix pocket wizard triggers, and sit a spare rf602 trigger on its hot shoe. It's what I do when shooting in a studio with (eg) profoto air system triggers, works fine.

Good tip Dave

As a trigger, wouldn't it be useful to get a Pocket Wizard mini trigger to take advantage of hypersync?

Hi Nick, thanks for that. So do the plus II act as a transmitter and a receiver then?

I am thinking, I need a plus II on the camera hotshot as the transmitter and a second plus II connected to the studio light via a cable as the receiver/trigger. This second plus II would also then fire the lights when I transmit to it via the L358, is that correct?

Yeah, they're transceivers so can work as either a transmitter or receiver.

That's right. The PW card for the L358 basically turns your light meter into a trigger. It's pretty expensive for what it is but hey, you want convenience, you gotta pay for it ;)

Just to put a cat amongst the pigeon, I've got the pw card in my meter and I couldn't get it to work with pws :(, just buy an extra trigger and stick in in your pocket if you want convenience

Just to put a cat amongst the pigeon, I've got the pw card in my meter and I couldn't get it to work with pws :(, just buy an extra trigger and stick in in your pocket if you want convenience

There would only be a couple of reasons for that a) the small Pocket Wizard module is not working or b) one or the other of the items is the wrong frequency (the US and European Pocket Wizards use different frequencies).

The older PW modules for the Sekonic meters were frequency dependant and each would not work with the other's frequencies, the latest module will work with either frequency.

It might be work checking what module you have installed and what Pocket Wizards.

very strange :/ as Ed says, it'll be one of those two options. Mine works brilliantly.

Doesn't matter for me anymore as I don't use pws, but just saying what a shame if someone spends a small fortune and can't get it to work.

Back