Which pocketable camera?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all.

My daughter has acquired my A6400 on permanent loan for her uni work, and without a camera I've found myself itching for something new.

Requirements:
Good in low light
Pocketable

Not needed:
Super zoom
Video

I'm leaning toward one of the Fuji X100 series and as always, budget creep has seen me considering a V.
However with insane current used pricing and lack of new stock, plus the rumoured release of a new model, I'm thinking I should now wait?
I could go for a T or an F but I'm worried I'll want to upgrade to a V in a couple of months if I do...?

So, what alternatives do you recommend should I be considering - or should I just wait for the new X100?

Thanks!

what do you shoot?
I got an X100V a little while back as my family camera and the AF was frustrating in comparison to Sony bodies (like A6400) for shooting my kids. So I ended up selling it.
Also the previous X100 bodies have the older lens design which is soft wide. So I'd skip those.

if you already have the lenses why not another Sony A6XXX body?

If you want a fixed lens camera I'd suggest waiting for new Fuji X100. I think once the new one comes out the current lot that's insanely priced will drop in value. With the just rumour of one coming out I see a lot of them on the used market now and for less money than 3-4 months ago.

Also consider the canon G1xIII, it's really nice to use.

Also Nikon has just come out with a rather nice 24mm f1.7, Have a look at pairing a Nikon ZFc with that 24mm f1.7 instead of X100V.

Edit:
Also for prices of X100V you can get something like a used Sony A7C+samyang 35mm f2.8.

Last edited:
GR3 if you're a "wide" view guy (28mm), GR3x if you're a "normal" view guy (40mm).

The X100 is only pocketable if you're a "cargo pants" guy. Or you have a handbag.

In my opinion of course!

[long version]
I wanted a similar "take everywhere" camera that I could stick in my pocket and not worry about scratching the lens.

It came down to the GR3 vs the X100 vs the Sony RX1 vs the Leica Qx

The Leica was too expensive and not pocketable.
The Sony was not pocketable and had Sony menus.
The X100 was not pocketable.
The GR3 was pocketable.

It sounds really daft but the pocketability (it is a word) was the key thing for me. I wanted APSC as a minimum for printing and noiselessness. Ended up being a no-brainer.
As it is, the GR3 is a fantastic little camera. Snap focus alone is worth the entry price for me. It does go everywhere and with no need for a lens cap either. Menu system and operability are also top notch. It's very easy to use one handed.

[/long version]

Last edited:
what do you shoot?
I got an X100V a little while back as my family camera and the AF was frustrating in comparison to Sony bodies (like A6400) for shooting my kids. So I ended up selling it.
Also the previous X100 bodies have the older lens design which is soft wide. So I'd skip those.

if you already have the lenses why not another Sony A6XXX body?

If you want a fixed lens camera I'd suggest waiting for new Fuji X100. I think once the new one comes out the current lot that's insanely priced will drop in value. With the just rumour of one coming out I see a lot of them on the used market now and for less money than 3-4 months ago.

Also consider the canon G1xIII, it's really nice to use.

Also Nikon has just come out with a rather nice 24mm f1.7, Have a look at pairing a Nikon ZFc with that 24mm f1.7 instead of X100V.

Edit:
Also for prices of X100V you can get something like a used Sony A7C+samyang 35mm f2.8.
I shoot a wide range of stuff but this will be for street, holidays etc. I know I'm not going to get a good super zoom etc in a pocketable size unit and that's ok.

I find the A6xx to not be pocketable with a lens on it. Body only, it's about the same size as the X100 with its lens so isn't going to work for me for this purpose.

I'll check out your other suggestions - thanks.

GR3 if you're a "wide" view guy (28mm), GR3x if you're a "normal" view guy (40mm).

The X100 is only pocketable if you're a "cargo pants" guy. Or you have a handbag.

In my opinion of course!

[long version]
I wanted a similar "take everywhere" camera that I could stick in my pocket and not worry about scratching the lens.

It came down to the GR3 vs the X100 vs the Sony RX1 vs the Leica Qx

The Leica was too expensive and not pocketable.
The Sony was not pocketable and had Sony menus.
The X100 was not pocketable.
The GR3 was pocketable.

It sounds really daft but the pocketability (it is a word) was the key thing for me. I wanted APSC as a minimum for printing and noiselessness. Ended up being a no-brainer.
As it is, the GR3 is a fantastic little camera. Snap focus alone is worth the entry price for me. It does go everywhere and with no need for a lens cap either. Menu system and operability are also top notch. It's very easy to use one handed.

[/long version]
This is useful - thank you. I'll check out the GR3!

GR iii - truly pocketable and aps-c.
Great image quality with24mp.

I shoot a wide range of stuff but this will be for street, holidays etc. I know I'm not going to get a good super zoom etc in a pocketable size unit and that's ok.

Well depends on how large a sensor you are after.
You can get 1" sensor cameras with a decent zoom range that are pocketable.
Canon G5xii or Sony RX100vi/vii are good for that.

I find the A6xx to not be pocketable with a lens on it. Body only, it's about the same size as the X100 with its lens so isn't going to work for me for this purpose.

I'll check out your other suggestions - thanks.

Ricoh GR3 is truly pocketable but you sacrifice on the viewfinder and you get f2.8 lens. of course that may not be an issue for you.

The X100V lives up to the hype!
No they don't, I've had three from new, all developed faults, two were replaced under warranty, sold the last one (with advice on its fault).

Get yourself a MFT of some description. I have an Olympus OM-D E-M10 with a 20mm (40mm equivalent) f1.7 but you can get shorter focal lengths and if you ensure you buy a prime lens, you will find them very small. Plus you always have the option of getting longer lenses, with the Fuji you re stuck with a 35mm equivalent and, as you say, there is probably a new one coming out early this year.

Last edited:
Get yourself a MFT of some description. I have an Olympus OM-D E-M10 with a 20mm (40mm equivalent) f1.7 but you can get shorter focal lengths and if you ensure you buy a prime lens, you will find them very small. Plus you always have the option of getting longer lenses, with the Fuji you re stuck with a 35mm equivalent and, as you say, there is probably a new one coming out early this year.

I like the EM-10 and think it is small and cute - especially with a small prime - but wouldn't call it pocketable - made a bit worse IMO by the way the control dials sort of stick out.

well you can get teleconverters to make it 28mm or 50mm too.

But then you lose the pocketability as the converters stick out so much.

I wouldn't say a X100 is exactly pocketable so all I can say is good luck with that :D

I have a X100f and to be honest I always choose my Sony A7 or Micro Four Thirds cameras over it. I think its good points include the retro look and controls and it is quick to start up and it has a nice evf but... the focus... I just don't see it in the same class focus wise as any of my other cameras, plus they are rather pricey. Also, and others may disagree... I see precious little if any image quality advantage for this APS-C camera over my MFT cameras plus the MFT cameras are IMO much more likely to get you an in focus picture.

You could take a look at the much cheaper Panasonic GX80 or GX9. I'm a bit of a fan of the GX80 maybe because of inverse snobbery. I've had my Panasonic 14mm f2.5 on my GX80 for quite some time now and it's a nice, compact and cheap combination which might be worth a look, as might the more expensive but otherwise quite similar but with more physical controls and bells and whistles GX9.

I'm very pleased with my pair of Panasonic GM5s.

With the default 12~32mm, one will fit in a jacket pocket. The only problem is that you'd have to go second hand shopping, because Panasonic ditched the GM series. :(

Red Panasonic GM5 in hand HX90 DSC00500.jpg

I found the X100F useless if you need AF-C, sold it and went for the A7C with Zeiss 35 2.8 - not pocketable and neither was the X100

Ricoh GR is about it unless you go 1" e.g. RX100 range.

Last edited:
Much as I love Fuji's output, I wanted more flexibility so went for an RX100vi. More than happy with it and can live with it as a one camera holiday option (when photography isn't a major part of the holiday!)

The Ricoh GR3/GR3x is a magic little camera.

There is also a little Panasonic with tilt up screen called GX800 (GX880, GX850 in some countries) that I like, and there are some pancake lenses for that.

I think the RX100 VA would be a better fit than the VI or VII as it has a shorter, brighter lens. Still available new, unlike many of the other suggestions.

Waiting for a rumoured new camera might mean you never buy anything.....

Panasonic LX100 is my city break camera and it’s always performed impeccably.

Had both the LX100 and LX100ii. Bought it because I didn't get along with rx100iii I had before them, it was too fiddly.
They are really nice to use but image quality is no better than 1" sensor compacts which is a shame. The lens in lx100 isn't as good as the lens in RX100 series.

I think canon G5xii gives the right balance between image quality, usability, lens speed and range.

I had a Lumix LX 100 which I liked but it got a huge dust bunny in the middle of the sensor so I rather extravigently replaced it with a Leica D-Lux Typ109 (smae camera different clothes) but that now has a couple of dusy bunnies albeit not usually visible as they are towards the edge of the frame. For the use you indicate I would (and have) go for a Fuji X100 series, I went for the T which without the lens hood is just as pockeatble as the LX100/Leica D-Lux.

01 X100T-1020042 PS Adj Upload.JPG

X100T size comparison.jpg

well you can get teleconverters to make it 28mm or 50mm too.

This is true
But then you lose the pocketability as the converters stick out so much.

This is also true but if one wants that flexibility they will fit in another pocket for use when needed.

Last edited:
This is also true but if one wants that flexibility they will fit in another pocket for use when needed.

Bit if a faff though IMHO, though we all have our favourites, but my experiences with the Fuji X100V were somewhat disappointing. I think if the first one hadn't gone wrong with the same fault as a the third one went wrong with (EVF curtain sticking) I would probably still have it, but when something goes wrong too often you feel you can't trust it anymore and it has to go. As I said, I have been more than happy with my Olympus and if I didn't have so much invested in new Nikon kit I might have moved fully to Micro Four Thirds.

Last edited:
Bit if a faff though IMHO, though we all have our favourites, but my experiences with the Fuji X100V were somewhat disappointing. I think if the first one hadn't gone wrong with the same fault as a the third one went wrong with (EVF curtain sticking) I would probably still have it, but when something goes wrong too often you feel you can't trust it anymore and it has to go. As I said, I have been more than happy with my Olympus and if I didn't have so much invested in new Nikon kit I might have moved fully to Micro Four Thirds.
The faff isn't something that would bother me if I wanted the extra flexibility (I don't have the converters for mine as I don't feel I would use them) btw the X100T isn't necessarily my favourite but it does a job for me that none of my other cameras can sio it has its place in my kit but I understand your mistrust of the X100 system I would probably feel the same if I had the same experience but my X100T works fine.

When I go out on a motorcycle ride or just around to the shops or out on a non-photographic outing I just throw the X100T in a small belt pouch with an extra battery, memory card, polarising filter etc and it is there if I need it but is almost un noticeable if I dont, I like the fact that it has a built in flash too for indoors or very low light.

Domke 2a.JPG

For me the biggest thing to get over with the X100f I have is the focus even for the pictures I take (still or slow moving.) The X100f focus is for me obviously lacking compared to any other camera I've had in the digital age except my first digital camera, the Fuji S602 pro zoom. If people can live with/cope with that then they are nice cameras.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
I think I need to go and see the X100 in person to check it's size.
I'm also working through the other suggestions which I really appreciate.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
I think I need to go and see the X100 in person to check it's size.
That might be challenging given that it is not in stock anywhere.
But a number of stores do have used ones in stock, so if there is one near you that might be worth a try

Further to my gripes about the X100V, have look at this video, specifically for about a minute starting at 11 minutes 30 seconds -- this guy doesn't trust it either, and he's a professional although he does like the camera overall.

The Problem

I have the Panasonic DC-TZ95, nic little camera does the 4K thing etc with loads of different settings. It does have one drawback and that is the focus. which I would like to be a little faster.
YGpSlr5l.jpg

Further to my gripes about the X100V, have look at this video, specifically for about a minute starting at 11 minutes 30 seconds -- this guy doesn't trust it either, and he's a professional although he does like the camera overall.

The Problem
I just watched the video, the guy is a bit full of himself and contradicts himself. First he's shot all over the world professionally with it then he wouldn't trust it on a professional shoot??

I haven't got the V I have the T which is less hyped than the V and I am not a professional either, if I was I als wouldn't be thinking about any of the X100s for professional work indeed when I go out on my Dartmoor Photowalks in all waethers I don't take mt X100T I take 3 X-T2s that get the job done every time.

I'm sure the OP isn't looking for a professional camera either and whilst I get it that you have had a bad experience with 3 of them and the video guy tells agout freeze-ups and such but tbh there are thousands and thousands of X100s out there that are serving their owners fine without complaints.

It is horses for courses, by far and wide my favourite cameras are my Leica M9s (less capable than even my X100T) but they are not my most used cameras, neither are my 2 GFX 50S nor my 3 Bronica SQ-Ais not even my X100T no my most used are my X-T2s but those don't fit the needs of the OP so I didn't mention them, any of them in answer to his query.

As for M43, there's nothing wrong with them and they are small (not sure about pockeatble) and it is good that you have suggested them to the OP but let's not make this a hate X100 (or any other brand) thread we have each offered our thoughts and I'm sure the OP can find his own way from here.

Martin, I think our difference of opinion on this is likely to derail this thread if we go any further so I will agree to disagree and bow out now.

Good luck Steve @beercan with your search and enjoy whatever you settle on, just keep in mind there is no perfect camera just the one that is right for what you want it for.

I have the Panasonic DC-TZ95, nic little camera does the 4K thing etc with loads of different settings. It does have one drawback and that is the focus. which I would like to be a little faster.
YGpSlr5l.jpg
Better AF! That's where the Sony RX100's come in. ;) The RX100M7 is the best focusing camera I have, closely followed by the RX100M5. Both are better overall for AF than my Nikon D500, though the Nikon is better in other areas. :) But for a small camera, the RX100's are hard to beat imho, and they have a range for different feature levels with each version, thought some are hard to get new.

I bought all my RX100's (3 of them) used, and have had no problems. :)

You can check the X100's size relative to other cameras with the camera comparison thingy...

Nothing beats handling the kit but the "thingy" will maybe help you a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks all.

Been watching some YouTube vids this eve and also looked at that comparison site.

I didn't realise the X100 is pretty much the same as the A6400 (minus lens) so as mentioned, other than in a jacket it's not really a pocketable option...

I like the look of the GRiii, but it's not got a tilting screen (appreciate I didn't mention this as a need but realising it hasn't got it has made me think I do want it).

I've had an RX100V and traded that in for the A6400 because I wanted something less "point and shoot" feeling so I do wonder if I'd feel the same about it too...

I appreciate I'm probably setting myself up with an impossible task here and think I may have to change my priorities. Maybe I need to accept less pocketable (but not SLR size)...

Just saw a vid of the XT30 which seems to offer a lot of the X100 features too; but with the freedom of different lenses. I could get a 27mm pancake and then go longer if I decided I wanted to later...

If it helps at all...

I wanted something much more compact and went for the Panasonic TZ100 rather than the Sony RX100 as I didn't like the Sonys pop up evf, the TZ100 has a conventional fixed evf. Being 1" sensor cameras these cameras give better image quality than a small sensor compact but of course in poor light and when pixel peeping they can't match the image quality you get from MFT or APS-C.

I take mine out sometimes when even a quite compact camera the size of a X100 is still a bit too much.

Martin, I think our difference of opinion on this is likely to derail this thread if we go any further so I will agree to disagree and bow out now.

No, really don't. I think I'm just a little disillusioned with the X100V (can't you tell) but you are right and I don't want to derail the thread either, so I'll back off, not you.

Thanks all.

Been watching some YouTube vids this eve and also looked at that comparison site.

I didn't realise the X100 is pretty much the same as the A6400 (minus lens) so as mentioned, other than in a jacket it's not really a pocketable option...

I like the look of the GRiii, but it's not got a tilting screen (appreciate I didn't mention this as a need but realising it hasn't got it has made me think I do want it).

I've had an RX100V and traded that in for the A6400 because I wanted something less "point and shoot" feeling so I do wonder if I'd feel the same about it too...

I appreciate I'm probably setting myself up with an impossible task here and think I may have to change my priorities. Maybe I need to accept less pocketable (but not SLR size)...

Just saw a vid of the XT30 which seems to offer a lot of the X100 features too; but with the freedom of different lenses. I could get a 27mm pancake and then go longer if I decided I wanted to later...
What does XT30 give you that A6400 doesn't?
If you simply want to swap that's fair enough.

Put in my pocket
Honestly I’ve looked again and again in the past like you.
You can’t have everything unfortunately.
Good luck choosing a camera, with so many options you can easily get a headache

Back