Which portable godox flash

All lithium batteries have a limited recharging life, and based on the history of the failure rate of Godox batteries*, I feel that mains power is a need to have, rather than a nice to have.

*Godox did tell me some time ago that they have changed their battery supplier, I don't know whether the failure rate will go down over time.

Whilst there were battery issues in the smaller flashes I have yest to read a report of such issues with the AD600 and with 3 batteries of my own I am not seeing the issues.

Mike

I think it's best we don't go speaking for other people's financial arrangements. There's plenty of studios out there using 10 year old mono's, it's by no means an unrealistic expectation to want kit to last more than 3 years.
I'm sure Mike would agree too when it comes to studio heads, but portable flash technology is improving at a phenomenal rate.

My Safari2 has had about a months use in pro terms (in the 2.5 years I've had it), and compared to the current stuff it looks ancient.

Strongly considering Godox to replace my Bowens stuff, no UK distributor is holding me back though, and I can't help but feel something better is always coming!

I think it's best we don't go speaking for other people's financial arrangements. There's plenty of studios out there using 10 year old mono's, it's by no means an unrealistic expectation to want kit to last more than 3 years.

There is a vast differnce between battery and mains powered devices, and for me personally I would expect more than 3 years from a mains powered head. Of course the financial side has to be considered, at £600 for a head they are not an amateur toy to buy and leave in the corner.

Mike

I've not heard of either of them but I'll take a look, I didn't realise they were rebranded as Pixapro too.

Photomart are doing a great price on them too, TTL version AD600Bs for £500!

Biggest hurdle for me oddly is that if I was to sell my Bowens kit I'd still need to buy a case, stands and reflectors. Godox don't do a real kit.

Last edited:
I've not heard of either of them but I'll take a look, I didn't realise they were rebranded as Pixapro too.

Photomart are doing a great price on them too, TTL version AD600Bs for £500!

Biggest hurdle for me oddly is that if I was to sell my Bowens kit I'd still need to buy a case, stands and reflectors. Godox don't do a real kit.

That's a great price for the ttl version, very tempted now.....

Godox do kits, take another look. Plus if you get the S compatible Godox heads you can reuse your Bowens light modifiers.

As for stands....what did you place your Bowens on?

I felt the same when I saw the prices, the free gifts from pixapro swayed me that way but it looks they've stopped the trigger offer now.

Godox do kits, take another look. Plus if you get the S compatible Godox heads you can reuse your Bowens light modifiers.

As for stands....what did you place your Bowens on?

Bowens stands, but along with the reflectors they'd be sold on as they're part of a kit.

I haven't seen Godox do a kit like my Bowens one that includes reflectors and stands and a case for a 2 head system.

My current system works fine, it's just basic, two heads running off one battery pack, no remote adjustment etc.

If I was buying first time it would be Godox no doubt, but I'm just not sure it would be worth the money to upgrade just yet.

Well it exists, for those that were interested...

http://www.adorama.com/fpppx600ac.html#

not in any rush so not looked for uk stockists but at least it'sdefinitely coming for those that need it.

It was announced that it would happen at the start of the year, some of us have been waiting a long time to see that, and from the looks of it there is much more to come

Mike

I Wonder if Lencarta have any plans to do rebaged versions, now that would be very nice, no quibble 3 year warranty and all that :)

Hi, I have two Godox AD360's and reading here that certain other companies re-brand the Godox AD-600's, so not being the brightest light in the room! will the re-branded light/s still work with the Godox triggers?
I have the Cells ll and also have Yongnuo YN-622C that seem to work with about anything.
Was also looking at the Jinbei HD-ll 600-V as an alternative to the Godox.

Many Thanks
Russ

Last edited:
will the re-branded light/s still work with the Godox triggers?
I have the Cells ll and also have Yongnuo YN-622C that seem to work with about anything.
Yes
But the 600 uses a new trigger system, so you'll need to adapt to get full functionality. (buy the x1 transmitter and some receivers for your existing kit.

Was also looking at the Jinbei HD-ll 600-V as an alternative to the Godox.
I wouldn't personally.;) The native trigger is rubbish, and 3rd party triggers (cells2 or YN622) will get you HSS but no power control
If you want to save money, buy the Godox from an ebay seller

They're a much better system and it's building a complete system now too.

As Phil said eBay, but you could also try Amazon which aren't bad either, if you want Godox with a Warranty go to essential photo ( Pixapro) they rebadge a lot of the Godox range, and they give a 2 year warranty, the Godox brand seem to be the way to go now if budget is limited, they have some great speced kit on the market for very good prices, I will be going that route myself within the next couple of months.

Hi, Again!!. Not diving in to buy so doing a little research and come to the conclusion that the 600BM would do for me for two reasons (1) The price. (2) I use a light meter most of the time so TTL really not required.
On watching a USA video on the AD360 (Cheetahstand I beleive) the guy states that with the AD360 to shoot at 4000th sec you only have put the unit to full power and will get no black bars top/bottom, no HSS required (not tried it yet) but anyone with the AD600 tried this option? Thanks. Russ

That's in reference to the original ad360 which would be used with super sync via a yn-622 trigger. It was used that way due to the original ad360 not supporting hss. You probably could do that with the 600 but as it supports hss when using an xt-1 trigger it works fine at any power using any shutter speed so no need to bodge it in this manner.

Hi, Again!!. Not diving in to buy so doing a little research and come to the conclusion that the 600BM would do for me for two reasons (1) The price. (2) I use a light meter most of the time so TTL really not required.
On watching a USA video on the AD360 (Cheetahstand I beleive) the guy states that with the AD360 to shoot at 4000th sec you only have put the unit to full power and will get no black bars top/bottom, no HSS required (not tried it yet) but anyone with the AD600 tried this option? Thanks. Russ

Yes, you can do that with any flash unit - it's called 'tail-sync' but also goes under various other names like Tail Hyper-Sync, Over-Drive Sync, Super-Sync amongst others. The key to it is the trigger, that picks up an early signal from the camera and fires the flash just as the shutter opens, instead of just before it closes. The downsides are a big loss of brightness compared to normal sync, and the exposure changes significantly down the frame - brighter at the bottom than the top. The better triggers allow you to adjust the exact timing moment for best results, that are also highly dependent on the exact nature of the flash pulse (longer duration is better) and the camera model (faster shutter cycle time is better).

Tail-sync works with any voltage-regulated unit (basically conventional studio heads) at all power settings, and with IGBT-regulated units (basically speedlites, and the new generation of higher powered IGBT units like the AD360, AD600 etc) but only at full power when the IGBT control is inactive.

Well it exists, for those that were interested...

http://www.adorama.com/fpppx600ac.html#

not in any rush so not looked for uk stockists but at least it'sdefinitely coming for those that need it.
Got my hands on the sample at Photokina, I can now reduce my lighting gear, no longer need a mains powered version of my battery lights as 1 light does everything

Mike

As a not quite there with these Flash/Strobe units how or why is it that the AD360ll is the same price as the the AD600BM, yes I no the BM does not have TTL but for power to power ratio and portability the BM is way out in front I beleive?
Thanks
Russ

As a not quite there with these Flash/Strobe units how or why is it that the AD360ll is the same price as the the AD600BM, yes I no the BM does not have TTL but for power to power ratio and portability the BM is way out in front I beleive?
Thanks
Russ

And for TTL the AD360II is streets ahead of the AD600BM, you gain in one area and lose in another - what is the price difference between the AD600B & AD600BM? now take that off of the AD360II to get a more realistic appreciation of values

Mike

And for TTL the AD360II is streets ahead of the AD600BM, you gain in one area and lose in another - what is the price difference between the AD600B & AD600BM? now take that off of the AD360II to get a more realistic appreciation of values

Mike
Hi, AD600BM on Ebay UK £427.50. free P&P, AD360ii £427.00 + £10 P&P Ebay UK
Russ

Hi, AD600BM on Ebay UK £427.50. free P&P, AD360ii £427.00 + £10 P&P Ebay UK
Russ

That was not the calculation, personally I would avoid buying from EBay for 1 reason, batteries - find a UK supplier that offers warranty either Photomart or Pixapro (under their own brand) are the only two I know of.

If you want the 360 without TTL it is over £100 cheaper, better to compare like with like

Mike

There are two versions of the AD600, both with and without TTL. The version that's the same price as the AD360ii is the non TTL version. If you want a version of the AD360 without TTL then have a look at the original version. Pretty sure the AD600 is also more powerful, and about the same power level as the Ad360ii if you use the extension head.

It depends on how important TTL is you, for me I want HSS but not worried about TTL. I would prefer to invest the money saved into other equipment.

Back